Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Expectations (1989 miniseries)

• 16-07-2018 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here see this TV adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic novel? It was very good, and starred our own Ray McNally as Mister Jaggers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Is that the one with Anthony Hopkins as the Convict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yes it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I remember reading about it at the time but I don't think I've watched it. The version that sticks with me the most is the early 80's BBC version with Stratford Johns as the convict, I found him terrifying.

_38149501_expect300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Jean Simmons, who played Miss Havisham in this series, played the young Estella in the 1946 film version.

I loved this version, I think Disney made it. Anthony Hopkins was excellent as Magwich. Pip was played by Anthony Calf. It was repeated on RTE 3 or 4 years later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

I loved this version, I think Disney made it. Anthony Hopkins was excellent as Magwich. Pip was played by Anthony Calf. It was repeated on RTE 3 or 4 years later

Disney with HTV.
    What it was that it was part of the ITV answer to the BBC's longstanding Sunday Classic/Children's Classic/Sunday Serial slot, which is where the 81 BBC Great Expectations aired. The 81 one was produced by Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks, who had worked on Doctor Who, another series of serials that like the Sunday Classic, was considered a kids' show despite being made by the drama department not the kids' department.
    By 1991, though the Sunday Classic had been replaced by the various Narnia serials and Return of the Psammead, all made by the children's department alongside Wonderworks, a Disney-PBS coproduction venture for adapting classic children's books, which started with the BBC's Box of Delights. The Sunday classic were considered stale, and unprofitable, and lacked Disney interaction, so...

Advertisement