Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get fire and theft insurance only on a second car

Options
  • 16-07-2018 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭

I have taken my Leaf off the road, and wonder can I get a F&T policy only on it, while I drive another car, using my NCB?
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you ring your current insurer to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

they said no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

you can only have one no claims bonus per car, second car would have to earn no claims bonus from scratch as your original no claims bonus is currently been used by your first car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Skatedude wrote: »
    you can only have one no claims bonus per car, second car would have to earn no claims bonus from scratch as your original no claims bonus is currently been used by your first car.

Which while correct - makes no sense whatsoever.

CiniO wrote: »

we are one of the few countries where the NCB does not go with the driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you want to insure it without third party liability then you should ask your home policy insurer if you can add it to your policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

CiniO wrote:

How's that then? A NCB is a potentially significant discount. It's earned per policy. Why would it apply to a new policy?

How's that then? A NCB is a potentially significant discount. It's earned per policy. Why would it apply to a new policy?

Really???

Why???

It's a discount which policy owner earned by proving to the insurer that he is able to use his car without causing accidents/claims.

If policy owner proved that he can drive/use his car without causing accidents/claims then why would it not apply to another he policy wants to buy ?

Makes no logical sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

You have to have some connection with the insurance agency based on a statement like that.

As CiniO has said, a NCB is a No Claims Bonus for not claiming on the policy.
    Why should you have to start a second policy from scratch just because you want to insure a second vehicle.
    I understand thats the way it is in Ireland but its chronic how insurance thieves are getting away with this.

I'm actually as well really curious what happens if you really build 2 separate NCB on 2 separate policies, and then there is an accident/claim on one of them.
    What happens then?

Surely you loose NCB on that policy.
    But what happens with other one?
    I can only imagine during renewal - insurer asks - what's your NCB - 5 years - did you have any claims within last 3 years - yes, few months ago - than you very much, we're not interested in insuring you anymore.
    So effectively, NCB which you earned separately on 2 separate policies, you loose both in case of any claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm actually as well really curious what happens if you really build 2 separate NCB on 2 separate policies, and then there is an accident/claim on one of them.
    What happens then?

Surely you loose NCB on that policy.
    But what happens with other one?
    I can only imagine during renewal - insurer asks - what's your NCB - 5 years - did you have any claims within last 3 years - yes, few months ago - than you very much, we're not interested in insuring you anymore.
    So effectively, NCB which you earned separately on 2 separate policies, you loose both in case of any claim.

The 2nd policy would still have it's NCD but your quote would increase as your risk has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

tcawley29 wrote:
    As CiniO has said, a NCB is a No Claims Bonus for not claiming on the policy. Why should you have to start a second policy from scratch just because you want to insure a second vehicle. I understand thats the way it is in Ireland but its chronic how insurance thieves are getting away with this.

If the policy restricted the driving to the policyholder only, there would be a good argument to have the NCB reflected on each. However, we have a culture in Ireland of naming a driver on additional vehicles and letting them off in it as a main driver. Allowing the NCB of a proven driver does not reflect the risk

Del2005 wrote: »
    The 2nd policy would still have it's NCD but your quote would increase as your risk has changed.

That's quite amazing, isn't it?

We'll keep your NCD because you didn't claim, but we'll load your premium because you did claim.

It's really honestly very scammy logic.

If the policy restricted the driving to the policyholder only, there would be a good argument to have the NCB reflected on each. However, we have a culture in Ireland of naming a driver on additional vehicles and letting them off in it as a main driver. Allowing the NCB of a proven driver does not reflect the risk

Does it not?

And what if they did mirror NCB, and someone did that what you're saying.
    Say father would buy a second policy, put his son as a named driver and let him drive that car?

If NCB was mirrored, and son crashed, then father would loose NCB on both policies. That should be enough encouragement for father not to do it, if he's not sure about his son's driving abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

He'd lose it on both anyway at the moment, as he would have to declare the accident come renewal on any new policy.

Insurance companies make up the rules as they go along to be fair. There's no big desire from what I can see to change it either. Personally I think you should pay for it all at the pump, tax/insurance etc.. With the government paying out claims, they might sort out the claim culture if they figure they can save money and put it into something else.

The really big negative is it would cause alot of job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's quite amazing, isn't it?

We'll keep your NCD because you didn't claim, but we'll load your premium because you did claim.

It's really honestly very scammy logic.

Whats scammy about it? You have 2 policies and make a claim on 1 of them. On the policy you claim from you loose your NCB and have an increased risk, on the 2nd policy you still have an increased risk but you never claimed so your NCB isn't affected.

Does it not?

No

TallGlass wrote: »
    Personally I think you should pay for it all at the pump, tax/insurance etc.. With the government paying out claims, they might sort out the claim culture if they figure they can save money and put it into something else.

Would you be happy paying, I don't know, maybe €2/3 a litre for petrol until they get around to sorting out the claim culture? Because, as it is, money in would have to match money out.

Tackle the claim culture first, bring awards and fraud within European averages and then the same Insurers offering reasonable premiums in those countries will offer the same here as their other branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Really???

Why???

It's a discount which policy owner earned by proving to the insurer that he is able to use his car without causing accidents/claims.

If policy owner proved that he can drive/use his car without causing accidents/claims then why would it not apply to another he policy wants to buy ?

Makes no logical sense whatsoever.
    It makes perfect sense to the insurance companies here. Means they can shaft you for a full premium with no discount.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

tcawley29 wrote: »
    You have to have some connection with the insurance agency based on a statement like that.

As CiniO has said, a NCB is a No Claims Bonus for not claiming on the policy.
    Why should you have to start a second policy from scratch just because you want to insure a second vehicle.
    I understand thats the way it is in Ireland but its chronic how insurance thieves are getting away with this.

I'm a broker (non motor).

I'd turn your question around and ask why should you feel entitled to a discount on a new policy when you haven't earned it?

• Advertisement

I'm a broker (non motor).

I'd turn your question around and ask why should you feel entitled to a discount on a new policy when you haven't earned it?

I would disagree that it hasn't been earned. NCB stands for no claims bonus. If you haven't made a claim it should not matter how many policies you are willing to purchase using the same NCB

tcawley29 wrote:
    I would disagree that it hasn't been earned. NCB stands for no claims bonus. If you haven't made a claim it should not matter how many policies you are willing to purchase using the same NCB

It's policy specific. On a new policy you won't have built it up. Some insurers will offer multi car cover btw.

It's policy specific. On a new policy you won't have built it up. Some insurers will offer multi car cover btw.

I understand how it works I just don't agree with it.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I understand how it works I just don't agree with it.
    CANT GET F&T ON ITS OWN JUST TP/F&T EURO 1,100:(

Its an idiotic policy. An NCB should be applicable to 10 policies if you wish. You have a record of not having claimed why should it apply to a policy and not the person in general.

Its just another way that Irish insurance companies are robbing us blind.

Advertisement