Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching fence to block wall

Options
  • 15-07-2018 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

One of our back garden walls that borders a neighbours garden is not very high. We’d like a bit of privacy so I’m looking to extend the wall height to around 1.8M. At the moment I’m thinking of attaching battens to the wall and then cross planks (maybe decking panels) to the battens.
    Building an extra couple of courses of brick on top or putting fence on top are not an option as neighbour is not the friendliest person to say the least.

Any ideas welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would think a fence on battens will cause problems for you. I know I would not like to see battens and boards on my dividing wall. Who paints the boards on your neighbors side? They will look awful if not painted or lacquered.

Imho a couple of rows of blocks would be the best option. Tell your neighbor what you intend to do and ask if they wish to contribute. If they refuse then go ahead and they may think they are getting something for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Pressure treated panels, might be best

https://www.google.ie/search?q=pressure+treated+fence+panels&rlz=1C1GGRV_enIE773IE773&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2jYHOiKPcAhVBjlkKHaW8ByMQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=947

Attach to battens or directly to the block wall ...6mm express nails or screw and rawl plug

If you have piers on the wall, you may need to cut the panels to fit, tricky but doable

The panels will last approx 20 years, assuming they are not in contact with the ground, and you retreat any cuts you make .
    If using battons , these need to be pressure treated, Im fairly sure 4.8m lengths of 1.5 x 1.5 PT can be purchased from most building suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/enacted/en/print#part8-chap3 applies if you want to build blocks.
    will the wall take the extra weight
    will the wall take the wind load from the panels?
    What about green chain link fencing on steel poles, with green screening on the inside
    google images for green fence screening

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Just finished this job myself, more because I didn't like the look of the wall but also to bring the wall on one side up to the same height as the other i.e. 2.0m.

I battened the walls using 16ft lengths of treated 2 x1 using concrete screws https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgefix-CFS62-Concrete-Frame-Screw/dp/B004LRDCEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531731539&sr=8-1&keywords=Forgefix+CFS62+Torx+Head+Concrete+Frame+Screw+-+Zinc+Yellow+Passivated. (Much better than using express nails which believe me you will never remove without taking half the wall with them) You can drill straight through the batten into the wall using a 5.5mm masonary bit - I found this size bit to be the best. Then screw straight through with no need for wall plugs. I attached the fences using wood screws and separated each fence with a 6ft length of 3x2 treated timber to make them look like fence posts. Lastly, I capped each 'post' and you would never know the wall was there.

One side overhangs the wall by 3 inches but the other by 9 inches. The storm just before the heat wave didn't have any affect whatsoever!

Fairly proud of the way it turned out if I do say so myself :)

455879.jpg

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=455881&stc=1&d=1531733587

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Cerco wrote: »
    ... Imho a couple of rows of blocks would be the best option. Tell your neighbor what you intend to do and ask if they wish to contribute. If they refuse then go ahead and they may think they are getting something for nothing.

Talking to the neighbour is not an option unfortunately and I don't think I'd just go ahead as you suggest, given it's a shared boundary wall and I don't own the whole thing.
    Just finished this job myself, more because I didn't like the look of the wall but also to bring the wall on one side up to the same height as the other i.e. 2.0m.

Nice job, will show the pics to the misses and see if she likes the look of that approach!

Thanks all for the suggestions and advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Alternatively, you can buy much smaller fence panels and attach them to the wall. We got 18" panels and just attached them to the block wall with rawl plugs to give us about 12" more height. Panels were cheap, I think we got them from Abwood.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvcmz08lpwigfew/2018-07-22%2020.35.27.jpg?dl=0 - excuse the painting, work in progress!

Advertisement