Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this switching wiring correct?

Options
  • 15-07-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

2 Gang switch in a new build, one switch controls light in pump room in one way config, second gang controls bathroom light, again one way. One of the switches broke so bought a new 2 gang switch to replace it. On unscrewing the original switch from the wall, I saw the attached wiring: Two live/brown going to common on each gang, one live/brown coming from L1.

Should it not be a neutral/blue going to L1? The blue wires are terminated in a block with the wall plate.

To be clear, I didn't do the wiring, this is how I found it, as done by developer. Is it correct/safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Yes it's correct. The blue/neutral wires go nowhere near that switch. Rewire as you found it or get someone competent who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yep, was intending to wire exactly as I found it, just wanted a second opinion. I'm wise enough to know where my limits are when it comes to things electrical. This is as brave as I'd get. ;) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭TheChizler

A switch is an intermediary device not a supply or appliance. When wiring a plug for an appliance you need both live and neutral, maybe that's what you're thinking of? A standard switch just connects the live of the supply to the live of the appliance/light. If there was a neutral in there you'd be shorting the supply live to neutral which would trip your MCB (hopefully!).

Advertisement