Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it the law for products to show all of their ingredients?

Options
  • 15-07-2018 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Someone in my family recently bought bread from a fruit & veg shop but I noticed on it that there's no list of ingredients.

Is it the law for products to show all of their ingredients? In Ireland or the EU at least?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It is the law to show ingredients in order of content, say starting with the largest ingredient on a loaf, and, also, showing embolden, the list of allergen ingredients on the item or loaf of bread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

goat2 wrote: »
    It is the law to show ingredients in order of content, say starting with the largest ingredient on a loaf, and, also, showing embolden, the list of allergen ingredients on the item or loaf of bread

I think OP was probably referring to unpackaged items such as a loaf of bread, individual unpackaged fruit and veg etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Yes; but I assume its a cottage industry if even - a local supplier selling a few loaves of bread and if it becomes viable perhaps they d be able to do it correctly.
    If I was allergic to ANYTHING I wouldn't buy it in that scenario but as I don't i generally buy those kind of items.

So yes is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Stanford wrote: »
    I think OP was probably referring to unpackaged items such as a loaf of bread, individual unpackaged fruit and veg etc.

Hi Stanford. The bread was packaged in this case - with the name of the maker. Just no ingredients shown.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Hi goat2.

Allergies is a good point. The main reason I want to know though is whether there's dairy or eggs in the ingredients as I won't eat those.

Another question - is it the law that products display nutritional info on their packaging - carbs, protein, etc.?

Worztron wrote: »
    Another question - is it the law that products display nutritional info on their packaging - carbs, protein, etc.?

Curious of that myself.

I don't mind a small time baker leaving out info as it can hardly be realistically expected from many of them.

But the likes of centra have their own range of products (ready meals, 'just heat it' is the name of the range i think) and there's never any nutritional values or even a basic calorie count. Which is madness considering the size of the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I think at a minimum they have to should show a sign with the products listed and what they contain.

My local chipper has one by the door. Its simple enough but would allow anyone with an allergy to have a quick glance and see what is safe to eat.

I am sure I have seen similar on the wall in the fresh bakery sections in M&S and SuperValu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The ingredients must be available to read if requested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Stanford. The bread was packaged in this case - with the name of the maker. Just no ingredients shown.
    There should have been a list, of ingredients on the back of package, Did you ask them, why did they not have a list of ingredients and allergens printed on packaging, did they take the time to print their name on packaging, and not do the most important stuff,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Aren’t alcohol products exempt from this in the EU? It’s definitely in industry that could do with transparency!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,080 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Germany requires listing unexpected ingredients on alcohol as far as I know - caramel in whiskey definitely has to be called out. They usually say dye (farbstoff) not caramel (karamell) so as to not make it obvious in other languages

Curious of that myself.

I don't mind a small time baker leaving out info as it can hardly be realistically expected from many of them.

But the likes of centra have their own range of products (ready meals, 'just heat it' is the name of the range i think) and there's never any nutritional values or even a basic calorie count. Which is madness considering the size of the company.

Hi KKV.

That's bad form on Centra's part.

There should have been a list, of ingredients on the back of package, Did you ask them, why did they not have a list of ingredients and allergens printed on packaging, did they take the time to print their name on packaging, and not do the most important stuff,

I did not buy the bread. I don't think there's even contact info on there. Yes, to go to the trouble of putting on a label and omitting such important info like ingredients is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm not sure about a full list of ingredients, but they do have to show allergens. If not on packaging, it must be available (usually in a book) for customers to look at. This will include eggs or dairy which you are interested in. If the shop didn't have this, it is illegal.

JohnC. wrote: »
    I'm not sure about a full list of ingredients, but they do have to show allergens. If not on packaging, it must be available (usually in a book) for customers to look at. This will include eggs or dairy which you are interested in. If the shop didn't have this, it is illegal.

Hi John.

Ah yes, so the shop probably has such a book in-store. I have no food allergies but am vegan so that's why I wanted to know whether dairy or eggs are in the ingredients.

Advertisement