Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account for household shared devices

Options
  • 15-07-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭

This covers a load of topics but hopefully I might some people's experiences here.

I might be over thinking things but myself and my partner are considering signing up to a shared Spotify account. We need to pick who's email address we should use and I'm wondering would it be tidier to set up a household Google account which we can use for all these shared things.

We have a Wetek Play 2 (Android TV box), Netflix, and of course household bills are associated with individual accounts. In the near future I hope to set up a fairly extensive home automation system which I'd prefer to not be associated with a particular person, maybe Google Home which I definitely don't want linked to a person account as it just exposes your emails and info to anyone in the room (I'm sure you can disable that kind of thing but it's probably tidier to have a separate account). With the Android TV my personal Web history and YouTube recommendations are all messed up by other people using my account on it. Kids are a long time away but these will eventually be extra users of shared devices in the house.

Has anyone figured out a nice solution when keeping shared devices separate (but maybe linked) to personal accounts, whether it's setting up an entirely separate account, using the Google Family feature, setting up email aliases linked to a personal account, or something else? Is this even a problem? XD Experiences welcome.

Advertisement