Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants in 60l

Options
  • 15-07-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi I've been having problems with my 60l aquarium recently. It's planted with some Anubis, Taiwan and Valisnera (spelling :/) and there is some amazon frogbit floating. I am dosing with easy-life profito and easycarbo. Internal filter, high lighting. Nitrates, nitrite and ammonia are all at 0.

Plants aren't growing well any more and getting that brown stuff on them. Amazon frogbit roots aren't hairy and getting longer. I don't understand what could be up as nothing has changed.

The tank has been set up for over a year now so maybe it's that? I understand from looking online that brown stuff on leaves is plants pulling nutrients from the water column but if you use fertilizer it should sort that out... I am fertilizing though so confused.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭lynchie

I had a similar issue where my plant mass got to the stage where they were consuming all nitrates in the tank that I had to start dosing extra ferts to keep the nitrates around 10-20ppm. Not sure how much N / P / K is in the profito but you may want to increase the dose to see if it helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

lynchie wrote: »
    I had a similar issue where my plant mass got to the stage where they were consuming all nitrates in the tank that I had to start dosing extra ferts to keep the nitrates around 10-20ppm. Not sure how much N / P / K is in the profito but you may want to increase the dose to see if it helps?

Wow OK. Do you have a lot of plants? I would never have thought of increasing the dose but will give it a go. I suppose the frogbit roots probably draw a lot from the water column

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

If you have 0 nitrates your plants probably need more. I like to see 20ppm for Nitrate in a planted tank as it means theres enough to keep the plants growing.

Pro-fito doesnt have nitrogen in it afaik so you could either feed your fish more (and get more fish) or get a fertilizer that has nitrogen in it.

penev10 wrote: »
    If you have 0 nitrates your plants probably need more. I like to see 20ppm for Nitrate in a planted tank as it means theres enough to keep the plants growing.

Pro-fito doesnt have nitrogen in it afaik so you could either feed your fish more (and get more fish) or get a fertilizer that has nitrogen in it.

Thanks for this. I stopped using carbon and fertilizer for a while and cut back the number of plants because it was getting depressing. Still some brown stuff on the leaves but not as much.
    That's annoying profito doesn't have nitrogen! I assumed it was everything the plants need. There's a seller selling tropica on adverts. He grows beautiful plants have bought some there before so might give that a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

How long do you keep the lights on in the Aquarium and how close is the light to the aquarium?

• Advertisement

How long do you keep the lights on in the Aquarium and how close is the light to the aquarium?

Hi it's a ciano aqua 60 the light is in the lid. It's 33.5 CM high and an led strip 8w. Quite bright. I had the lights on 12hours a day but have reduced to 8 now to see if it helps.

Advertisement