Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESTA Question help!

Options
  • 15-07-2018 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

I may be just too dumb but I'm trying to help the mother fill up her ESTA form application for travel to the US in two weeks and some questions gave me pause. She is a naturalised Irish citizen since 2012, born in Country X, which is a non-Visa Waiver Program country. She is NOT a dual citizen. Thought the form would be straightforward enough after I fill in her details and passport information. Then it asks:

(1) "Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any other country?" Answered YES, and gave the issuing country (Country X) and the document type, which was a Passport... it's void now obviously but you don't need to provide the passport number or anything.

It then goes to the section about OTHER CITIZENSHIP/NATIONALITY. It asked:

(1)"Are you now, a citizen or national of any other country?" This confuses me. I should write NO, since she is not a citizen of any country other than Ireland NOW.

Or should I say YES, and click Ireland...and answer Naturalisation for the question, "How did you acquire..."???

(2)"Have you ever been a citizen or national of any other country?" OK, I should write YES, and click on Country X, right?

Hoping someone can help. And I may turn out to be a dumb dumb for asking a question for a simple enough form but I'll take it if someone can help me figure this out. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you on the official site ..... https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

If not, abandon that application (they will charge you far more than the official fee of $14) and do it on the official website.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you on the official site ..... https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

If not, abandon that application (they will charge you far more than the official fee of $14) and do it on the official website.

Yes. I'm using the same official site you linked. It's the question that's confounding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You say she is not a dual citizen - did she formally renounce citizenship of her country of birth? Merely allowing her passport to expire would not constitute renunciation so unless she has formally renounced, I would answer 'yes' to the question about dual citizenship (Are you now, a citizen or national of any other country?) as her Irish passport will say that she was born in country 'x'.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

coylemj wrote: »
    You say she is not a dual citizen - did she formally renounce citizenship of her country of birth? Merely allowing her passport to expire would not constitute renunciation so unless she has formally renounced, I would answer 'yes' to the question about dual citizenship (Are you now, a citizen or national of any other country?) as her Irish passport will say that she was born in country 'x'.

Yes, she formally renounced her former citizenship when she offiicially sworn in as an Irish citizen and did not apply/request for dual citizenship. I think I got the question now.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

No, you're not dumb. Badly designed forms!!! (Bane of my life). Hopefully they'll have to field enough questions about what they mean to make them think it through a bit!

• Advertisement
Advertisement