Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional golfers finding their ball

Options
  • 14-07-2018 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Do you ever see a pro hit a tee shot during the links circuit into a mound of heavy dune grass with no one nearby and wonder how do they seem to keep on finding their ball?

I'm not suggesting they cheat, but do they employ better look for strategies than we do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you ever see a pro hit a tee shot during the links circuit into a mound of heavy dune grass with no one nearby and wonder how do they seem to keep on finding their ball?

I'm not suggesting they cheat, but do they employ better look for strategies than we do?

You do see them lose it when there is no one nearby, but typically the guys you see on the telly are the same ones that have people following them.

I do think it makes golf a lot easier when you can just hit your driver as hard as you want and you are pretty much that someone is going to find it for you. Would certainly improve my scores!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Some amateur golfers definitely tend to take their eye off the ball and that generally makes finding it a real needle in a haystack scenario. There's been countless times I've gone over to help with a search and asked the person what line they had on it only to be met by a blank expression. If you're too lazy to keep an eye on it and you expect me to waddle around for 5 minutes in the hope one of us stands on it then it deserves not to be found in my opinion. The sooner it becomes 3 minutes searching the better in my opinion. But there are plenty of other scenarios that make finding a ball for an amateur a lot harder than for a tour pro. The one I've outlined above just annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Insecurity Guard

..But there are plenty of other scenarios that make finding a ball for an amateur a lot harder than for a tour pro.

Yes, galleries can be very beneficial for the tour pro. Not only do they trample down areas of rough where you and me might not find a ball, they physically stop poor shots ending up much worse when the ball runs into them.

Another thing that definitely helps the pros though is a detailed knowledge of the rules (and any local rules), and how to claim reliefs.

Yes, galleries can be very beneficial for the tour pro. Not only do they trample down areas of rough where you and me might not find a ball, they physically stop poor shots ending up much worse when the ball runs into them.

Another thing that definitely helps the pros though is a detailed knowledge of the rules (and any local rules), and how to claim reliefs.

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from having the same detailed knowledge about the rules tbf. The Rule book is free, online and even in app form.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You could argue a case that many Pro's are found to lack a detailed knowledge of the rules. Having a rules official at hand is something that is an advantage and regularly utilised by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

One of the most disagreeable things I've seen in a pro tournament was earlier on this year,(I can't remember which tournament ), Charlie Hoffman hit a wild drive in the general direction of a crowd of spectators with OB not far away. Instead of shouting 'Fore', he shouted "hit someone, hit someone"..........It did, and he ended up in bounds and with a good lie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Every shot will normally have another player, 2 caddies and a referee watching it, all will have vast expierence of being on a course and how to track a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Insecurity Guard

GreeBo wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing stopping you from having the same detailed knowledge about the rules tbf. The Rule book is free, online and even in app form.

Absolutely, we have no excuse there. Although I think if our bread and butter depended on it we'd be a lot more studious!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Poulter responded to that. Hard to know who's rght if you read Poulter's account. Basically he said he was pointing out that the Marshall could have looked for it and the worst that would have happened is a free drop if he stood on it, but if Poulter dd, he'd have been penailsed. He said the swearing was all dorected at himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Poulter responded to that. Hard to know who's rght if you read Poulter's account. Basically he said he was pointing out that the Marshall could have looked for it and the worst that would have happened is a free drop if he stood on it, but if Poulter dd, he'd have been penailsed. He said the swearing was all dorected at himself.

That (moving your own ball) rule is supposed to change next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

GreeBo wrote: »

Even the pros need rulings confirmed, many amateurs might know the rules but it's making the decision that a certain can be inacted, sometimes we don't take the relief out of uncertainty

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

that marshall sounds like a plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Seve OB wrote: »
    that marshall sounds like a plonker.

And a precious one at that.

Snotty wrote: »
    Even the pros need rulings confirmed, many amateurs might know the rules but it's making the decision that a certain can be inacted, sometimes we don't take the relief out of uncertainty

Which is again you own fault, look it up in the book, or online or in the app!

If in doubt play two balls and determine the correct one when you get in.

In my experience too many players just throw in the towel when it comes to the rules and dont know the most basic, everyday ones.

Advertisement