Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing question

Options
  • 14-07-2018 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi everyone. I would like to buy unfinished house, but have some question about plumbing. Anyway the house itself is very nice looks like all radiators are installed and all pipe work is done, its an oil heating(oil tank is missing). On ground floor where copper pipes from radiator going underground it was all concrete and leveled up, but for some reason a plumber or builder dig a holes around each pipe in every single radiator on ground floor. And heres my question is that normal or something wrong with installation? An estate agent told me that its normal as thats the way they check for water leak, but I don't trust them, and it sounds stupid to me. Maybe someone have any ideas before I employ an engeneer.Please have a look at the picture. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Were longer radiators than originally planned for put in? You will find joiners beneath that pipe insulation if that's the case.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dinamit875

Wearb wrote: »
    Were longer radiators than originally planned for put in? You will find joiners beneath that pipe insulation if that's the case.

Thanks for reply, I was thinking the same that radiators were another size and there is joiners there. I will have to get an engineer at some stage to check everything later, but some of these small problems like radiators etc. are making me go crazy and pushes me away from buying it, hopefully theres no leakage under the concrete floor.

dinamit875 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, I was thinking the same that radiators were another size and there is joiners there. I will have to get an engineer at some stage to check everything later, but some of these small problems like radiators etc. are making me go crazy and pushes me away from buying it, hopefully theres no leakage under the concrete floor.
    I don’t know why they botched it like that. They should have be able to find ways around doing that, like double rads, higher rads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

I see nothing wrong.
    It was common practice to end plastic pipes in a sandy hole, then dig out later, cut to suite and bring copper straight up to radiator as required.

End job is neat straight copper pipes.
    Other's bring plastic all the way to radiator valve and sleeve it for strength and protection.

Down side, connections in floor.
    But that's not the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

its still common practice to do it this way.all pipes going back to a manifold .Great job

• Advertisement

Tom44 wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong.
    It was common practice to end plastic pipes in a sandy hole, then dig out later, cut to suite and bring copper straight up to radiator as required.

End job is neat straight copper pipes.
    Other's bring plastic all the way to radiator valve and sleeve it for strength and protection.

Down side, connections in floor.
    But that's not the end of the world.

Haven't seen it done like that for years around here. No joints until radiator and sleeved pipe to rad. Manifolds in hot press or utility. Philosophy being to have no covered joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Wearb wrote: »
    Haven't seen it done like that for years around here. No joints until radiator and sleeved pipe to rad. Manifolds in hot press or utility. Philosophy being to have no covered joints.[/Q
    the philosophy is not to have no covered joints.The manifold is a better job.The 30N concrete finished floor can fully finished at base level before the house is built.There is nothing wrong with a joint under each rad.if done right they will never leak.holes filled in with a weak sand/cement mix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

dinamit875 wrote: »
    Maybe someone have any ideas before I employ an engeneer..

Plastic pipe (qualpex) with copper coming up to radiators was a common enough practice just as you see it.
    The joints and copper should not be left bare where they come into contact with concrete, after testing they need to be adequately protected.
    I would suggest that you have the entire heating system properly pressure tested and commissioned before filling in any holes.

that house was build around 2006-2008 I suppose, and for some reason they left every single radiator like that and never go it finished. Maybe it should be like that I have no idea, anyway I will have to get an engineer to inspect entire house before buying it, but still waiting for an estate agent's reply.

thanks a lot, I will get a plumber to check it before finishing floors, if we buy this house water has to be connected and system checked also, its an oil heated(theres no oil tank).

• Advertisement
Advertisement