Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a MacBook pro

Options
  • 14-07-2018 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,

So I want to buy a MacBook pro as my 4 year old ones hard drive is completely gone.

I have a few choices. Compu b, Apple site directly or from Dublin airport.

Am I right in thinking the ones on the Apple site are not refreshed and are the same as the ones in compu b or in the airport?

Is there any difference in standard warranty?

My budget could afford the 1549 if that's the best but the one in the airport is only 1269 and seems to be the same specs.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

dev_ire wrote: »
    Hi,

So I want to buy a MacBook pro as my 4 year old ones hard drive is completely gone.

I have a few choices. Compu b, Apple site directly or from Dublin airport.

Am I right in thinking the ones on the Apple site are not refreshed and are the same as the ones in compu b or in the airport?

Is there any difference in standard warranty?

My budget could afford the 1549 if that's the best but the one in the airport is only 1269 and seems to be the same specs.

Thanks.

Would you not just repair your old machine. Given the budget you’re looking at a machine with a generations old intel processor, dodgy keyboard and limited ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Why not replace the hard drive for about €200 (and upgrade RAM while your at it). Crucial.com will automatically readwhat system you have and give you a menu of options.
    It's a bit of a pain transferring all the data from one hard drive to another but if yours is banjaxed that wouldn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Why not replace the hard drive for about €200 (and upgrade RAM while your at it). Crucial.com will automatically readwhat system you have and give you a menu of options.

I could but then the screen or the logic board could die out and I wouldn't get an ssd that easily fits and works with it for 200?

Would you not just repair your old machine. Given the budget you’re looking at a machine with a generations old intel processor, dodgy keyboard and limited ports.

The processor on the new one won't be as old as my 2012 model?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

I'd replace the hard drive and upgrade the ram like other have said. If it's only hard drive gone then thats an easy fix.

I've a late 2013 macbook pro and it's still going, next mission is to change the battery as that's nearly gone, €100 or so it will cost me.

I ain't going splashing out on a new mac anytime soon unless anything completely off the walls goes wrong with it.

• Advertisement

Will I have to replace it myself or would compu b or anyone do it for me?

I already have 8gb ram, also replaced the keyboard and the battery and the charger since I got it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple launched new MacBook Pros two days ago. They are available to order now. Compub et al might not have them for a week or two. The base models weren't updated, though. Probably in the next couple of months.

They all come with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty no matter where you buy them. Any problems after that and it's consumer rights and you can make a claim up to 6 years, but you'll have to take it up with the reseller you purchased it from. Generally it's better to buy from Apple with as they are aware of consumer law where as retailers will tend to plead ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The processor on the new one won't be as old as my 2012 model?

It’s still really poor for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Will I have to replace it myself or would compu b or anyone do it for me?

I already have 8gb ram, also replaced the keyboard and the battery and the charger since I got it.

Fair enough, I can see why you want to stop rebuilding.

I will call compu b and see if they will install an SSD or if not will look through the crucial guides for my model. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I can see why you want to stop rebuilding.

I dont want to do it myself as it took me 2 goes to get the right cable for a new HDD for a different MBP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

New models appear to be designed to fix the keyboard issue everyone has their knickers in a twist over, so probably worth waiting until the base model is refreshed anyway, probably in the next few months.

New models appear to be designed to fix the keyboard issue everyone has their knickers in a twist over, so probably worth waiting until the base model is refreshed anyway, probably in the next few months.

I am working off my phone now and couldn't wait for the new refresh unfortunately.

Moved to new post

Advertisement