Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting or replacement of gas and electric meter boxes

Options
  • 13-07-2018 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Got the house painted recently and it's highlighted just how dull and grey the gas and electric meter boxes are. Can these units be painted and if so what is the best type of paint. Or can replacements be purchased?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭raxy

are you talking about the outside box meters? If so they're probably plastic or metal but I'm sure you can get paint suitable for them.
    I know you can get paint for PVC windows so I'm sure something similar would do. How well it would look of how hard to get it right I couldn't say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Yep. They are the ones outside the house and are plastic. If anyone has experience in painting or replacement I'd love to hear how they got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I just painted my white down pipes with the external paint, takes to the plastic no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just painted mine with whatever paint was used to paint the house, i.e. Dulux Weathershield. Worked fine. Also works for any other plastic like down pipes, waste pipes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Enjoy cleaning down all the peeling paint in the future 🀭.
    Best way to approach this job is clean down with warm water and washing up liquid, dry off, a light sand, prime with a pvc primer and then 2 coats of your chosen colour, lightly sand between coats, weathershield or any exterior paint will be perfect.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback. Will have a stab at it before the summer ends. Will post back with results.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Enjoy cleaning down all the peeling paint in the future 🀭.
    Best way to approach this job is clean down with warm water and washing up liquid, dry off, a light sand, prime with a pvc primer and then 2 coats of your chosen colour, lightly sand between coats, weathershield or any exterior paint will be perfect.

Tbh the paint can be scraped off in seconds with a paint scraper.

You'd coat one of these with masonry paint every ten years. I understand what your saying about a professional finish but no one would ever notice and it gets painted rarely.

Update. Job done with some standard exterior white masonry paint. 2 coats done. One of the doors might need a 3rd coat but it looks grand to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Enjoy cleaning down all the peeling paint in the future ��.

NOT the right answer here as WUL contains, iirc, silica ( or some other crap) which mitigates against good adhesion.
    You need sugar soap, and start at the bottom and work up, to avoid streaks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Also add Owatrol E-B into the paint. Will stick like glue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement