Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Handed Slice

Options
  • 12-07-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi guys,

Only got back into playing golf due to the good weather and am hooked now.

The problem is that I'm suffering from a serious slice that's really getting me down.

Some times I'll hit perfectly straight tee shots with my 3 Wood (don't even attempt the driver as it never works), but 9/10 times I'm going way left.

I've heard people saying that perhaps I should be using a stiff shaft as I've been told my swing speed is quite high, but I don't think I can honestly blame the clubs and feel as though it's my actual swing path.

Is this issue hard to fix?

I'd appreciate any help as my wayward tee shots are putting me in positions that are causing me to drop at least 1 shot per hole having to chip out from behind trees etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It's rare that its an equipment problem with casual golfers or handicap amateurs even. Most of the time its a swing flaw. Too much hit from the hands, arms, shoulders, rotation. Timing issues. Any combination of those. Its hard to say which as we're all different.
    Most people come 'over the top' have a google at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do they:

Start left and go further left
    Start straight and move left
    Start right and finish left
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Do what i do sometimes when i get this bad , aim more to the right. Take the slice into account. I know sometimes youll hit it perfert and it will go right but if you are slicing all the time worth a try until you fix it on the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

Have a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKnkfgDBi62lTGPqEciFLZixkaagTOd39

I have a violent slice right at the moment that I can't fix no matter what I do. I watched above yesterday and I'm going to give it an bash at the range soon to see if it helps me out.

Edit: My slices are generally:
    Start right and go further right - about 60%
    Start straight and move right - about 35%
    Any direction, high or low - about 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Glebee wrote: »
    Do what i do sometimes when i get this bad , aim more to the right. Take the slice into account. I know sometimes youll hit it perfert and it will go right but if you are slicing all the time worth a try until you fix it on the range.

The OP is probably better rectifying this fault asap rather than getting into the habit of aiming further right to compensate.

I play occasionally with a lad who has this so ingrained that on every tee box he is standing at almost 45 degrees from the target.

Draws and fades are grand when produced as required but I would not advocate building it into a swing so as to allow for a swing fault.

Just my tuppence worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

A lot of issues with slices or hooks come from the transition from the backswing to the downswing. If something goes slightly out of sync at that point, it can translate into all kinds of horrors when the clubhead hits the ball. I've found that a slight pause at the top of the backswing can help with the transition and fix a lot of those issues. It helps even just to diagnose what's happening to cause the slice in the first place. I've seen some top pros play like that. Furyk has a built in reset in his swing, Aphibarnrat pauses slightly. It really has no noticeable effect on distance and may be of help in diagnosing the root cause.I do it because I had a similar issue which would only manifest occasionally, but would result in an horrific slice; usually when either trying to shorten or lengthen a shot with a particular club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The OP is probably better rectifying this fault asap rather than getting into the habit of aiming further right to compensate.

I play occasionally with a lad who has this so ingrained that on every tee box he is standing at almost 45 degrees from the target.

Draws and fades are grand when produced as required but I would not advocate building it into a swing so as to allow for a swing fault.

Just my tuppence worth.

Totally agree, get fixed asap

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Fann Linn wrote: »

Just my tuppence worth.

Exactly.
    For a RH golfer, aiming left will actually increase the slice as typically your feet are more left than the clubface.

On the course, swing more in the direction the ball is going, not the direction you want it to go in.
    e.g. Again, for a RH
    If you are slicing the ball then swing to the right, swinging to the left is only going to make it worse. You might need to adjust your aim, but at least the ball will be flying straighter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think a lesson is the best advice for the op to be honest.

Advertisement