Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had a claim - how much will my insurance increase?

Options
  • 12-07-2018 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Ok so I know its a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but I am looking for some ballpark ideas.

I have just made a claim on my car insurance. I hit a poxy deer on the motorway. Could do nothing to avoid it. Total claim value of just over €6,000. Just repairs to my own car, no injury etc.

Insurance not due until December. What am I looking at ? 200 % , 400% ?

Has anybody made a claim and how much did your insurance rise by ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How much NCB do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

How much NCB do you have?

5 Years - Not protected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

If you are on stepback protection I'd imagine your insurance will go up by about 60%.
    If not double last years price approx

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

had a claim this year, on renewal my insurance went from 600 to 2400. Claim was for 17500. Thats with step back no claims bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why do people get step back and not full protection?

• Advertisement

Why do people get step back and not full protection?

Step back is free with my policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

jeepcj wrote: »
    Step back is free with my policy

Not really a cost saving if you have to claim and your premium is hit the following year.
    I think my cover cost me about 30-40 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Having protection doesn't mean your premium won't go up - you'll get 50% or whatever off your new loaded premium.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Having protection doesn't mean your premium won't go up - you'll get 50% or whatever off your new loaded premium.

absolutely correct, they loaded my premium over 2000 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just put all you details with a fake phone number(so they don't start calling you) into the online quote with a few companies, set ncb to 0 and see what it comes up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

tuxy wrote: »
    Just put all you details with a fake phone number(so they don't start calling you) into the online quote with a few companies, set ncb to 0 and see what it comes up with.

Problem with this is you might not get an online quote until 3-5 years after the accident

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭tbm

I had a modest claim this year (€985, shunt in a car park). Had step back protection. Premium has gone up 85% (720 - 1330) and my NCB is gone from 6+ to 2 years. I'm bulling. I just didn't have the cash to sort it at the time, but I'll pay for more then the claim was worth.

In hindsight would have borrowed money to pay for the damage. Insurance in Ireland is a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You should be in a good position seeing as the personal injury claim element is taken care of. If you are over 30 I'd say worst case it will double.

Advertisement