Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TRV worth it?

Options
  • 12-07-2018 2:33pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im going to get a smart thermostat and I also need to get some new rads put in.

Are smart TRV's worth it over the manual TRV's? What do they actually get you

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Rew wrote: »
    Im going to get a smart thermostat and I also need to get some new rads put in.

Are smart TRV's worth it over the manual TRV's? What do they actually get you

They allow you to control the temperature on a per room basis.

Personally I've never found my manual TVR's to work well, but maybe you have a different experience.

Lets say your in the office and you get a call from a relative asking if they can stay the night. You can just pull out the phone and turn up the heat in the guest bedroom before you get home.

You can also tie them into routines and timers. So lets say you normally don't go to bed until 11pm. You could set all the TRV's in the upstairs bedrooms to be only 18c until 10:30pm and then for them to automatically increase to say 21c from 10:30pm to 12:30, so your room is nice and warm when going to bed, without overheating the unused rooms earlier in the night. This can all be automatically set up.

With a manual TRV, you can't do this, at least not without running upstairs to adjust them every night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've a regular house with 8 smart trvs

Changing batteries and noise are the common issues, I've none in my room

But I think they are great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I've got the honeywell evohome setup.

Smart TRV's on every rad, and I can centrally control temperature / times and hot water from the app or the control unit.

Have to say it's fantastic.

Same batteries are in now 14 months, haven't had to change them.

There is a whirring when they open the valves, but are silent other than that.

I know a few people who have switched to the evohome from a Nest thermostat, as while the Nest is cool and all, there's only one thermostat, whereas with the evo home each TRV is a thermostat giving granular control, rather than for the whole house.

Advertisement