Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Fondo strade bianchi. anyone ever do it?

Options
  • 11-07-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

After doing the Paris roubaix challenge this year, I'm looking towards a similar event next year. Toss up between Flanders or gf strade bianchi. Has anyone ever done the latter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Never done it but looks class - wouldn't mind giving one of these classic sportives a go next year so going to keep an eye on this thread as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1zmuCrcJoI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've done most of the Strade Bianche route, but not the Grand Fondo. Stunning part of Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    After doing the Paris roubaix challenge this year, I'm looking towards a similar event next year. Toss up between Flanders or gf strade bianchi. Has anyone ever done the latter?

We must be on the same wavelength... Did Paris-Roubaix this year... thinking of doing either Flanders or Strade Bianchi next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭wer*

I did Roubaix three years ago and Flanders two years ago and Strade Bianchi is on my list of things to go do next. I would definitely recommend doing Flanders - a very different cobbled experience to Flanders and I found it more enjoyable than Roubaix. I plan on going back to Flanders and doing it again because it was such a good day out and a great atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Did SB it 2017. An absolute epic. Great event, well organised. The day was wet and that added to the epicness. Don't underestimate the steepness of the climbs. They are not long but the gravel and steepness really kills the legs. I had a 39 - 28 on and realised the day before when I saw some of the pros with 36 on the front that I could be in trouble. Absolutely epic finish and yet again that final climb is very steep. IIRC Wout Van Aart came off in the pro race this year. Finally the gravel. A very fine white dust that covers absolutely everything including gears etc. Makes gear changes very erratic. Also don't bring new wheels and do put new brake blocks on. The gravel on the braking surface acts like sandpaper. I had no brake pads left on the back by the end. Hotel Italia in Sienna is great value and a super cycling friendly hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Cheers for replies. This year's SB looked epic on TV. Really enjoyed roubaix this year. Dastardly00 it's a tough call between Flanders and strade bianche

Cheers for replies. This year's SB looked epic on TV. Really enjoyed roubaix this year. Dastardly00 it's a tough call between Flanders and strade bianche

I had my mind kinda made up that I was going to do Flanders, but this thread is starting to change my mind... I've always wanted to go to Siena and Tuscany as well!

I was the same before the roubaix trip., Plan was roubaix this year, Flanders next. But SB has crepet in there. Yuecsny is stunning. I've been with herself to Florence/sienna before and it's incredible.

Looks like it'll be Flanders next year. Just looking fir ant feedback regarding when previous participants stayed? Limited accommodation in oudenaarde

Flights and hotel booked for 2020. Registration opens Oct 1st.

• Advertisement

Nice one!

Is the pro race on the Saturday and the sportive on the Sunday?

Which airport are you flying to in Italy? Florence or Pisa

Yup. Pro race Saturday and sportive Sunday. There no direct flight to Florence

Has anyone a link to a Strava file for the route?

Has anyone a link to a Strava file for the route?

I don't, but the GPX file is on the official website and you could import that to Strava

The Gran Fondo which was scheduled for this Sunday has been cancelled (along with the pro race).

Can you get refunds?

Advertisement