Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

37, no savings... Where to go?

Options
  • 11-07-2018 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

As the title states, I am 37 years old with no savings (primary school teacher, 3 years experience). I guess some career changes meant that I was late to the grown up stages most of you fellow teachers reached in your 20's and are more financially stable in your 30's. Basically, I do not want to be in this position in 10 years time; no car, prospect of a deposit for a mortgage in sight, etc. I do not have a permanent job here but I am getting work regularly. I have heard about people going top teach in the UAE, Saudi Arabia, China and several other places for 2 years and returning with anything up to €20,000 in savings. I cannot imagine that happening to me here in 10 years to be honest. Can anyone suggest what you might do in my position?
    P.s. I have no children, relationship or debts here.

Thanks,
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

I would start by joining this site and having a look at the forums:

https://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/

International schools from what I understand are a bit hit and miss as a lot of them are run as businesses. But if you have no commitments here it might be worth taking the plunge.

I would also maybe create a Linkedin profile and try to network there as there are a lot of international recruiters actively working on that platform.

It would also be good to familiarise yourself with the British curriculum (GCSE/IGSCE, A-Level and probably the IB also) as most international schools will use these.

Good luck out there!

Advertisement