Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss village in Ireland

Options
  • 11-07-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Few days ago my wife heard in the store from one of her customers that there is a swiss like built village somewhere in Ireland. After few google moments I couldn't find a thing. Did anyone heard about it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Hi,
    Few days ago my wife heard in the store from one of her customers that there is a swiss like built village somewhere in Ireland. After few google moments I couldn't find a thing. Did anyone heard about it?
    Thanks

There's the 'Swiss Cottage' in Cahir Co. Tipperary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

LiamaDelta wrote: »

I'm guessing there was a few of them built around the country then as I know of a ruined one near where I am from. They seem to have been a fancy built on the big rich landed estates, but it would look like on the one in Cahir survives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I'm guessing there was a few of them built around the country then as I know of a ruined one near where I am from. They seem to have been a fancy built on the big rich landed estates, but it would look like on the one in Cahir survives

Yes there was one in santry north Dublin
    A pub in the area used the name Swiss cottage in homage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Here's a piece about the santry Swiss cottages

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is also the Old Russian Village in Kilquade, Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭ted1

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    yoshiktk wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks

There’s one on Santry too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I went to school in one. It's called Ardagh in Co. Longford. The Landpeople back in the day, the Featherstones, decided they wanted their tenants to live in Swiss cottages following their grand tour. So they built the whole village in stone Swiss cottages.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

nee wrote: »
    I went to school in one. It's called Ardagh in Co. Longford. The Landpeople back in the day, the Featherstones, decided they wanted their tenants to live in Swiss cottages following their grand tour. So they built the whole village in stone Swiss cottages.

That could be it. Unfortunate the customer didn't say any details, that's why I thought that maybe she meant the one in South America.
    Will have to check it out. Thanks.
    Btw any good destinations for 1day trips from Greystones?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Here's a pic of Ardagh from the pub:

t7k5tz.jpg

Advertisement