Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putter woes!

Options
  • 11-07-2018 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed the price of putters going through the roof in the last few years? Granted we spend extortionate money on drivers but a lot of that was because of the tech titanium face's better shafts etc.
    Now its spread to putters! OK its 50% of our shots etc.. but has the tech made us better putters? I think not.

Let's start with mcguircks, went to look at a few putters today sales guy comes over (I instantly know he doesn't know what the fcuk he's talking about) he spouts the same old **** about face balance putters being for straight back and through and so on. Same auld shire but you don't get fit. Taylor made spiders running 300+ but its a lottery if it suits you. I mean your supposedly a pro expert wtf! I'd learn more on YouTube.

Foregolf will fit you but you got to not only pay for the service but also give them a 100eu deposit for the club as the assume you will be satisfied beforehand. Really!!!

Edel putter fittings are good but if you fall out of love with it they're hard to pass on. Plus they set you up based on one green speed Claiming that heavy putter are better for fast green and lighter putters for slower greens which is the opposite to what most internet experts believe.

Seamore putters have mostly onset putters which suits players with left eye dominance (Right handed player)

Evnroll has a face that controls distance no matter where you hit it on the face. Maybe you want to toe a down hill putt to deaden the speed you are screwed.

Im missing putts right as in lipping out on the right but its an open face at impact. Id gladly pay 500eu for a putter if I was convinced it suited me but no I have to guess.

In reality its the Indian not the arrow but what a fcukin liberty!!! (Catherine Tate show)

Granted most people won't question this but its not good enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Try Potters Putters on instagram for a lesson. Very good analysis and free. Read his analysis on the strokes, setup, alignment and more.

You're right about the putters, sky high prices. The pricier putters I can get a better strike and feedback is there, better than a cheaper putter, but if you're a good putter anything will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

If your missing right try lifting the toe slightly at address and hold it through the stroke. It will be more upright and keep the face more closed. I had a mini lesson on it.

As for the price of the putters, if people pay it they'll charge for it. There is certainly more engineering in a TM Spider than an old Ping Anser to be fair.

Have you looked into Titleist ? I thought they were doing a big push on fitting putters this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

You are right OP, the price of putters is very high at present but it's the one club people tend to stick with, in some cases, for decades unlike other clubs. Granted there are lads out there that change theirs fairly regularly but I've had the same one for 10 years and I honestly can't see me ever changing it. Not that I'm an amazing putter or anything but it just suits my eye and I feel comfortable with it.

As for blocking putts out to the right, I had the same problem with short putts but I was pulling them left. The instruction I received which really helped (and also applies to blocking putts) was to only apply pressure to the putter grip on the sides and not on top of the grip or underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    If your missing right try lifting the toe slightly at address and hold it through the stroke. It will be more upright and keep the face more closed. I had a mini lesson on it.

As for the price of the putters, if people pay it they'll charge for it. There is certainly more engineering in a TM Spider than an old Ping Anser to be fair.

Have you looked into Titleist ? I thought they were doing a big push on fitting putters this year.

The only worry I'd have about raising the toe is your creating more arc in the stroke.
    I could bend the shaft more upright I suppose. I have probably caused this problem myself as I recently played around with the loft by bending it shaft.
    My friend did the titlest fitting he paid 60eu. When I asked what tech was used he said the guy used his mobile phone to video his stroke.
    I was surprised it was so basic and that put me off. Also there's not a lot of new tech in Scotty's still the same milled face your really buying a well balanced designer putter. Which is fine once it gives you the love for the putting part of your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have a look at changing the grip. P2 grips are getting a lot of good reviews.
    Made the mistake of changing grip on my putter cost me another 35 quid to change it again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've used a P2 for a good while now and highly recommend it. Had terrible putting woes last year and it helped a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Does anyone have recomendations for a putter fitting session in Ireland please?
    I have a ping redwood piper s putter but it feels very heavy and tends to open on drawback.
    Now it could be more in my head than the putter but would not mind doing a putter fitting session to see if I am using the right type of putter.
    TIA.

I have a ping redwood piper s putter but it feels very heavy and tends to open on drawback.
    Now it could be more in my head than the putter but would not mind doing a putter fitting session to see if I am using the right type of putter.
    TIA.
    There's a few options Foregolf, Edel putters by Drive performance golf and Billy Noble in the north is supposed to be good.
    The problem is most fitters are selling a brand and fit you based that brands putting theory. This is normally based on the putters best selling point for example evnroll putters its all about distance control, edel putters it about set up alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

The main problem is golfers are very bad at diagnosing why they miss putts, is it speed? is it line? is it picking the line? and when it comes to the stroke, most don't know what they should be working on. For example, arc really isn't that important, what's important is face angle at impact and centredness of contact.

So for improving putting or changing a putter, the golfer needs to know why they are missing putts and how another putter will help change that. Hitting a few putts on a green really isn't enough to find out if a putter will work.

Most golfers would be better off with a bullseye putter, but you'll do well to find one in a golf shop. The newer technology can help but understanding what changes the technology will help with is paramount, and unfortunately most use clichés and hearsay to describe their benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sipper

TIA.

Mark Heinemann in Killarney has Sam Putt Lab and does Odyssey I believe.

• Advertisement

I have found something in the take away. Bounce the putter inhale is the best way to move your putter unit off the ground. Making more putts now Dogg!!! You know what I is Sayings!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Every putter now seems to have an insert. I'm not convinced by them. The likes of those spider inserts, are they uniform, will they last, get damaged etc. Same with the microhinge on the oddsseys. Even the new Scotty's have an insert and if you look at the pros they use prototypes or older versions without the insert. Then milled faces can be super expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭liamos43

Atn Montgolfier:

Am anxious to accept any advice available but dont understand what you mean by ' bounce the putter inhale etc'. Can you please explain ....many thanks.

liamos43 wrote: »
    Atn Montgolfier:

Am anxious to accept any advice available but dont understand what you mean by ' bounce the putter inhale etc'. Can you please explain ....many thanks.

My issue was a jerky stroke caused by my putter catching the ground on the backstroke. I was leaning on my putter without realizing.
    So I had to find a way raise my putter before I make my stroke.
    I tried just lifting it but the head was moving around too much. So the theory is to bounce the putter to make you more aware of the ground also inhaling before the stroke will raise the putter allowing you to make a smooth stroke.

http://puttingzone.com/MyTips/bounce.html

Advertisement