Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 80cm dish, not cooperating

Options
  • 10-07-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

This is doing my head in.:mad:

This dish I can focus on Astra 2 in 5 minutes with signal and quality of +90% .
    But I can not get any response from Hotbird 13E or Astra 1 @ 19E.

Have tried about 10 TPs on each sat but no blip. I used to get a few TPs on Hotbird , weak , but OK most of the time on a 60cm Sky mesh dish but now , nada, zero on this 80cm dish.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

Mark the elevation (up/down) and azimuth (east/west) position of the dish when you're aligned to Astra 2 28E.

To get 19E you need to raise the dish 4 degrees. To get 13E you should raise it 6 degrees.

Once that's done, tune to a transponder for the appropriate satellite, then slowly move the dish westwards while watching the signal meter.

https://sites.google.com/site/freetoairinfo/home/how-to-align-a-satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

@Apogee: Thanks for the tip. As at the moment I'm out of :( "fiddle energy" when I have some in the tank I will go again.:rolleyes: Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'm making the assumption that given the 80cm dish you want both Astra 2 and Hotbird - if not, ignore most of the following and just take into account the need for vertical tilt. I replaced my dish in April with twin feeds for Astra 2 and Astra 1 (19.2) mounted on a Triax multi LNB holder. I was prepared for losing more of my already scarce hair, but thanks to the advice of the good folk hereabouts and armed with a simple €10 sat meter and direction finder app, it was surprisingly straightforward. As Apogee said, the two aren't on an axis - the LNBs have to be offset vertically.

Lots of very useful responses posted to the thread I posted at the time and indeed elsewhere on Boards if you search around. If using the Triax holder the key is to assemble it upside down, then tilt it down to the right as far as it'll go while facing the dish. Rather than centering the dish on either 28.2/13, center it on 19.2 - tune that in first with the LNB just to the right of the arm making sure you have a good strong signal, and lock everything in place then using the sat meter find 13 by sliding that LNB off to the right (mark the position for 19.2 in case you ever want it) and 28.2 by sliding the second LNB along to the left of the arm

@JMcL: I'm just have 1 LNB on this 80cm dish. Have not had another go yet. We'll see

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stupid question time :pac:

Your line of sight isn't being blocked by trees or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

dohouch wrote: »
    @JMcL: I'm just have 1 LNB on this 80cm dish. Have not had another go yet. We'll see

You need a separate LNB for each satellite. You will also need a,Multi LNB holder, diseqc switch and a diseqc enabled receiver. something like this,.

27wxhs.jpg

@Apogee: Did as you suggested and now Astra 1 on my dish. Thanks

Advertisement