Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving a scooter on B licence

Options
  • 10-07-2018 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi guys,

As the weather is so nice, I was thinking of buying myself so lovely moped 50cc scooter just for short trips.

I have a full B licence so I was wondering if the 50cc are covered by an B category ?
    If not, can I just add the AM category to my full B with the D401 form or I have to go for learner but then do I have to the theory test again if I have already done it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What's the betting it'll start raining the minute you get it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Hi guys,

As the weather is so nice, I was thinking of buying myself so lovely moped 50cc scooter just for short trips.

Or just get your push bike out of the shed, you'll be riding in the gutter most of the time on a 50cc. Wouldn't waist my time or money, you have to do the IBT so you might as well do it for the A or A2. You can't (legally) just buy a scooter and ride it round because the weather is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Which is restricted to 45 km/h AS WELL as 50cc.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

So basically not worth it at all in the end, better pull all the windows down and get some tunes going on :D

Thanks guys for help, thought B does cover anything else then a Car..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Of course it's worth it: on a nice eve, or piles of traffic, a 50 is still better than most cars.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »
    Of course it's worth it: on a nice eve, or piles of traffic, a 50 is still better than most cars.....

I hate to say it but a pedal assisted bicycle is probably the best option for city traffic. Yes it's restricted to 25km/h when assisted, but there's no insurance or tax on it and they are even more miserable than a moped for running costs.

Advertisement