Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Second-Hand Maxi-Scooter - A Second Pair of Eyes

Options
  • 10-07-2018 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I’m in the market for a second-hand maxi-scooter and will be buying in a private sale. Any suggestions as to where I might find a mechanic to throw their eyes over the bike before the sale? I’d be worried about the V-belt (the bike has high mileage and the seller offers no promises - he bought the bike as a part-trade for another). The bike moves, engine sounds fine, but I don’t know of the tell-tale signs to look out for if there was a dodgy belt, or whether a failing belt would do any damage to the bike other than to just stop it from moving.

If I could hire a mechanic to join me and take a look at the bike how much would be a reasonable charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Any local bike mechanic will be able to look over a bike. It'll cost from €50 if they don't have to travel far to more if they are travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What part of the country are you in OP? Some mechanics dont like to travel so rather than getting them out it would be better to come to agreement with the seller that you will buy the bike for X price provided it passes your mechanics tests at their workshop. If the mechanic says the V-belt needs to be replaced that will give you leverage to either get the price reduced or walk away from the deal.

Advertisement