Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to reattach a bathroom radiator to a plasterboard wall?

Options
  • 10-07-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a bathroom radiator which is (was) secured to a plasterboard wall top and bottom but the top two connections have come loose (no family member has admitted to swinging out of it :mad:) leaving to big holes where there used to be fixings and I have no idea how best to re-attach it so I'm here looking for help.

IMG201807101746541531250768.jpg

IMG201807101747071531250820.jpg

IMG201807101748461531250891.jpg

IMG201807101747281531250950.jpg

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It should have been attached to timber noggings behind the plaster board to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,713 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Looks hollow behind. If yes then go get toggle fittings in the DIY store they'll spring out behind the plasterboard and tie the fitting into place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The mounting fittings on towel rails can usually slide left/right, see if you can locate a stud in the wall for at least one of them to screw into. If you locate a stud for the top one, move the bottom one out to match it. Then use toggle fittings for the other two fixings. Even if two of the mountings are into the stud work they will take most of the load.

You should be able to find a stud by examining the wall surface to see if you can spot nails or by using a strong magnet to stick to the nails under the plaster board and locate the stud.

If you can't find the stud the only option will be toggle fittings as per above, but you are really gripping into cardboard + chalk so don't expect them to take a huge load.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is this a timber framed house?

The other way to find the stud is shove a bit of wire sideways into the hole and try find the studs.
    They are normally, AFAICR, 400 mm or so from centre to centre so say 350 mm from inside face of one stud to inside face of the next

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks guys, that's great advice.

Yes the mounting fittings do slide left and right once the retaining screw is loosened and yes the house it timber framed so there should be some stud work to anchor at least one of the fittings into something solid.

I've a good steer on what to do now so thank's very much, I appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement