Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring for new ceiling light (junction box?)

Options
  • 09-07-2018 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

Bought a new light recently. The old light had this set up.

utlW4.gif

The new light only had a connector block in it with space for 1 L, N and earth. At the moment there are 4 single connector blocks inside the new light replicating the previous set up and it's a very tight squeeze.

It works and the other lights on the circuit are all functioning as expected.

But I don't want to leave it like this. Can I use a junction box and put it in the ceiling with only the 3 wires for the light coming into the new fixture?

Can anyone recommend a junction box for this or another solution?

There are these kind:

junction_box_4-lighting_newcolours.png

or a 'chocbox'. I'll need more than one of these or a bigger one.

54936_P&$prodImageMedium$

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

I think you’ll struggle to get a junction box into the ceiling and be able to refit the light fitting over the hole. (Unless there’s an attic space above)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

It's ground floor so no attic space above.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Maybe you could keep the existing ceiling rose?

2011 wrote: »
    Maybe you could keep the existing ceiling rose?

It's a completely different fitting. The one that was there was the standard ceiling rose installed when the house was rewired a few years ago. The new fitting has 5 lightbulbs and has a bracket which the new fitting sits into. The connections for the 5 bulbs also take up some space inside the fitting.

Bit ridiculous that the new fitting only has a L, N and E connector. Was there no thought as to how it would fit on a lighting circuit with a switch cable too.

I was looking at a wagobox too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wagobox-light-junction-box/8423f

I was thinking of making the hole in the ceiling a little bigger and pushing the box up there. They seem to meet all requirements. Main use seems to be for spot lights so surely it'd be ok for this too?

Wago answered a question on Screwfix asking if this can be used instead of a ceiling rose.
    Thank you for your question.
    Yes the WAGOBOX Light junction box along with the 224 series lighting connector can be used in the ceiling void above a light instead of a ceiling rose. For more information please contact us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

Again,you’ll struggle to get this( or any other jb )into the ceiling space without making a hole that can’t be seen,depending on base plate of fitting.
    The wires may be drilled through a joist or bridging timber too making it even more difficult to do.

Advertisement