Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free to air dish.

Options
  • 09-07-2018 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Im looking to put up a dish for a few extra channels for a elderly neighbour. Currently he has local channels only.

A spare RG59 is at the chimney will this be ok for the dish? the run is short 15m-20m max. I know an RG6 would be ideal the run is the issue tho.

Is it possible to use the dish as the antenna also to reduce clutter on the chimney?

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tuco88 wrote: »
    A spare RG59 is at the chimney will this be ok for the dish?

Yes.
    Is it possible to use the dish as the antenna also to reduce clutter on the chimney?

The antenna will work for Saorview (the Irish stations). If this is working then leave well enough alone would be my advice. This will get you:
    • RTE1
    • RTE2
    • 3E
    • TNG4
    • TV3
    + a few more

The dish is best pointed at the Astra satellite (the one that Sky uses). This will get you lots of the UK stations for free. They include:
    • BBC1
    • BBC2
    • BBC4
    • ITV1
    • ITV2
    • ITV3
    • ITV4
    • Channel 4
    • Film 4
    • Channel 5
    • 5Select
    • More4
    • E4
    • Sky News
    • 5 USA
    + lots more.

You can connect both the arial and the dish to a single digibox like this. This also has the facility to allow you to record as well as lottos other features.

Channels are available in HD as well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

For clarity: Here is the Freesat channel list and here is the Saorview channel list.
    All free and all legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Thanks 2011.
    Once again a wealth of knowledge good sir.

He enjoys a good western film like myself, TG4 dont show the classics like it used to apparently cant have that 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

The dish will not work as an antenna for Saorview, so leave antenna as suggested by 2011.

Best to run two cables from the sat dish to the digi box to allow viewing and recording simultaneously or recording two channels. I would recommend shotgun cable (two co-axial cables in one).

If you cannot install another cable then you could use the existing antenna cable for both Saorview and sat by fitting two Satellite & terrestrial combiners.( one indoor and one outdoor). Use the RG59 for a second sat feed.
    You will need some short bits of cable to connect the combiners.
    Have a look at Satword.ie, Satellite.ie, for products and more information.
    These items are generally available from any sat store and in-line.
    Also read some of the threads on the satellite forum on link here
    Link: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I don't see the point in paying for satellite TV when so much is available for free, I rather spend the money on a qualyTV and sound system.

As it happens I purchased the box I linked to above yesterday. It should arrive tomorrow, will let you know if it is good as it is supposed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

In case there is any misunderstanding , I am not suggesting paying for Satellite tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

2011 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in paying for satellite TV when so much is available for free, I rather spend the money on a qualyTV and sound system.

As it happens I purchased the box I linked to above yesterday. It should arrive tomorrow, will let you know if it is good as it is supposed to be.
    I have that box with OpenATV installed. It's a great box. Used Dream box edit to sort the EPG how I like it. I have Saorview first before the Sat channels on the same EPG.

Can also connect an external hard drive for recording.

Advertisement