Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix pixelated in the evenings....

Options
  • 09-07-2018 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Got an LG Smart TV and signed up to a Netflix account as I can watch it through Netflix app on TV. Was going great until about 2 or 3 days ago,now anything I watch after about 6pm is good one minute then pixelated the next.Volume also seems to decrease then increase.This comes and goes for the rest of the night. My broadband is with Pure Telecom,speedtest (on my phone)shows about 27 mbps and TV is wired directly into the router. Stuff I'm watching is HD,not even 4k stuff so is there something I can change on the Netflix settings?? Or something else?

Comments

Is that speedtest done when Netflix gets pixelated?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Do the Angelus tomorrow at 6pm and see if it helps.

In the evenings more people are using services like Netflix and Youtube. Which can mean that your internet speed can go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭R11

Is that speedtest done when Netflix gets pixelated?
    Yep,did a connection test via Netflix and its giving 27.7 mbps....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr.S wrote: »
    Your ISP is likely throttling Netflix during peak times.

No need to assume active malice, they may just not have sufficient peering to Netflix.

• Advertisement

In the evenings more people are using services like Netflix and Youtube. Which can mean that your internet speed can go down.
    But the speed is the same when I run a speedtest on my phone.Its not dropping,just seems Netflix specifically slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This, sounds like general congestion on the line when everyone gets home from work...

Any idea of your providers contention ratio OP?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Any idea of your providers contention ratio OP?
    How might I find this out?

R11 wrote: »
    But the speed is the same when I run a speedtest on my phone.Its not dropping,just seems Netflix specifically slowing down.

Anything over 10mbps should be fine.
    i agree with the other posters, sounds like it is your broadband suppliers fault.
    No harm giving them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

Worth trying the Netflix speed test too from fast.com

• Advertisement

Actually,just remembered I signed up to a free trial of Smart DNS Proxy,changed DNS setting on TV......would that slow it down???

Actually,just remembered I signed up to a free trial of Smart DNS Proxy,changed DNS setting on TV......would that slow it down???

Yeah. A proxy can definitely slow it down.

Set DNS back to automatic and it seems to have fixed it.....
    Slighly off topic but is there any other way to watch BBC iPlayer on LG Smart TV??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Mr.S wrote: »
    If they are **** servers, yes.

The DNS proxy would not directly slow you down but it may point you to Netflix CDN servers in another country with which your ISP may have peering issues.

Which ISP is it?

[QUOTE=Kiana Damaged Vegan;107474951
    Which ISP is it?[/QUOTE]
    Its Pure Telecom/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

/thread

Its Pure Telecom/

If for example you were getting the US Netflix library your traffic may be crossing transatlantic links which are struggling at peak times. It would be up to your ISP to resolve this but they are unlikely to facilitate you evading Netflix geo blocking.

Would a VPN installed on the router cause the same problems? Or is it better than DNS?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Would a VPN installed on the router cause the same problems? Or is it better than DNS?

Would be the exact same surely?

VPN could actually be worse as all your traffic is being routed through a third party server in whatever country you choose for the VPN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Have you tried watching on a laptop at the same time to rule out an issue with the tv?

Pelvis wrote: »
    Have you tried watching on a laptop at the same time to rule out an issue with the tv?

It's not tv, the DNS was slowing it down. Once I reset the settings, problem was solved , picture & sound perfect again.
    Looks like a VPN will just do the same. Any other way to watch BBC iPlayer on the app through the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

i agree with the other posters, sounds like it is your broadband suppliers fault.

not for 4k content it isn't

lawred2 wrote: »

not for 4k content it isn't
    The op said that they were watching HD not 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The op said that they were watching HD not 4k

ah my bad - misread that

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Try getflix,I use them fo USA Netflix 4k and no problem and it also allows me to watch bbc itv and 5 players on the tv

If the dns is giving problems it must be a crap one

The DNS service is doing nothing more than tricking the CDN into thinking you're in a different country. It won't matter what DNS service the OP uses if the issue is the peering between their ISP and wherever the CDN server is. Realistically the only option would be to change ISP.

they said it was the dns and its fine since they turned it off thats why i suggested changing

When they turned it off they would be hitting servers in Ireland that the ISP has no issues with.

I suppose there is no harm trying Getflix or the like if they can get a free trial or whatever.

Realistically the only option would be to change ISP.
    That's my next option as I'm out of contract with Pure. So it'll be either Eir or Sky...... Anyone here using a DNS on lg tv with either of them?

is vodafone not an option ?

Yes they are. Just thought they were more expensive than the others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement