Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring wall lights

Options
  • 09-07-2018 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon,
    I am replacing some existing wall lights in my home. The existing wall lights could be switched on from the mains and also switched on individually by pulling a string. I have removed the original lights to expose some five or six electrical wires, blue, brown and earth.
    The new lights are ceramic and come with only blue and brown wires attached to a plastic box which i believe need to be attached to the wires on the wall.
    My question is, how should i isolate the existing wires on the wall. Should i just go ahead and connect the brown and blue wires up to the wall lights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Did you take any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

The blue on its own is a "borrowed" neutral and is a common neutral for some other light somewhere, possibly the other wall light. It certainly can't be left unconnected or some other light(s) won't work. Your new light is double insulated so does not require an earth, the 2 earths can be terminated into the same connector terminal.

Did you take a picture before you disconnected the wall light? I would think it should be connected brown to brown and the 2 blues into the one terminal ( they probably won't fit into the terminal in the wall light so you will need another terminal to join the two blues and bring a single line to the neutral on the light itself.

Advertisement