Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visitor from America

Options
  • 09-07-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Hi a buddy of mine is visiting from America and needs a phone and SIM while here for a week to be able to stay in touch... suggestions as to what phone & network would be useful (he cant just buy a SIM because his existing phone wont accept a SIM as it is hard wired and tied to a US network....)

Requirements would be:
    A phone that will run Apps like Facebook/Snapchat etc.
    Will need to call & SMS to America
    Cheap data
    No monthly contract (i.e. pay as you go...)

It will likely be a "throw away" phone... so phone should be cheap too :)

open to suggestions

I've suggested just using his existing phone on Wifi, but apparently 2 or 3 hours between wifi & data availability is too much to handle #firstworldproblems

Muppet Man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Hi a buddy of mine is visiting from America and needs a phone and SIM while here for a week to be able to stay in touch... suggestions as to what phone & network would be useful (he cant just buy a SIM because his existing phone wont accept a SIM as it is hard wired and tied to a US network....)

Requirements would be:
    A phone that will run Apps like Facebook/Snapchat etc.
    Will need to call & SMS to America
    Cheap data
    No monthly contract (i.e. pay as you go...)

It will likely be a "throw away" phone... so phone should be cheap too :)

open to suggestions

I've suggested just using his existing phone on Wifi, but apparently 2 or 3 hours between wifi & data availability is too much to handle #firstworldproblems

Muppet Man.

Why can't he just use WiFi and you hotspot him in between WiFi?

If that was me I would get a portable wi-fi something like this.
    You charge it up and it gives you wifi in your pocket. Just get a pay as you go data sim from any of the carriers.
    It can be re-used and it means they can use their own phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Both very clever options... thanks folks, I will check this out.

Advertisement