Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil pipe

Options
  • 09-07-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi guys,

The image attached shows the pipe feeding my condesnsing boiler. I think it's called a feeding loop. Anyway, the connection is leaking oil, what should i do here? Can I tighten it up? Loosen it and re fix it? Call someone who knows what they are doing?

I can smell oil every time I near boiler and only spotted this today.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

The Fiber washer inside might be damaged. Just tighten it up slightly it should be ok.
    If not you might have to turn the oil off , open the fitting and replace the Washer.
    You could put a little ptfe tape on the Threads under the not also.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 L4yercak3

Thanks for reply.

So as long as oil is off I can take this off. It won't upset the overall 'system'?

I tried tightening it but it wouldn't budge. So it could be the fiber washer.. I take it I can buy a replacement handy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

there is no fibre washer there. the fittings look new,is this a new oil boiler

Yea new boiler system. Oil condensing boiler

what make and model boiler is it?

• Advertisement

It is a grant vortex 50_90

My opinion.There is something wrong here.the oil filter is upside down.The flexible oil hose is not the one that came with the boiler.It looks like a hose that most of us dont fit.It should be a "riello' flexible oil hose.can you post a picture of the front of the boiler and the firevalve.

I will do that tomorrow.. Thanks very much

Picture of front of boiler.

Where will I find the fire valve? Take the plastic red cover off?

The firevalve is there.The firevalve probe is above the burner.the firevalve itself is outside.its fine.See if you can tighten the filter bowel a little.what appears to be a leaking joint sometimes comes from a leak above it.i.e filter bowel seal. To tighten.Hold the back of the filter with one hand.Turn the filter bowel [front] clockwise a little.

clean and dry off filter bowel and fittings with tissue paper.
    then wrap the filter bowel and joints with one wrap of tissue paper. if you have a slight weep of oil, it will show up on the tissue paper ,you will know exactly where the weep is

ps the thermostat is set a little too high.the flexible oil hose should be changed on the first service or before to a riello oil hose

• Advertisement

Thanks agusta I will try this later. Will I turn oil off at oil tank before I attempt any of this

No need,just slightly tighten filter,dry up and test

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

I have had problems with the clear braiding oil hoses leaking.
    Oil hose in photo is only 18 months old.

Genuine Riello hoses have a red and green colour incorporated into the braiding
    I've see 25 year old rusty Riello hoses that never leaked.

+1
    On tightening oil filter.

Lads no joy. Fixings are all tight. I think leak is coming from filter. Being inexperienced I do not want to open it...plumber who installed it is back next week I'll contact him. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement