Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place To Buy Bikes On Cycle To Work Scheme?

Options
  • 09-07-2018 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Looking for the best place to buy a bike on the cycle to work scheme.

I'll be traveling about 12k each way by bike. I'd love an option that folds and / or an option that is electric.

But I'm open to suggestions on all bikes people think are a good deal. Budget would ideally be around 1k but could stretch higher for a good deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

England..

We went to a local bike shop (since closed) and yer man in there was like ..oh bike to work.. so you want to spend the grand... fine. He showed us a ladies raleigh bike.. and it was €850 and shur he'd push it up to the €1000 with carriers and lights and stuff...

We said we'd think about it..

My wife then googled the make and model of the bike and found it in the UK for 300 pounds and 15 pounds delivery to Ireland.
    (discountcycles.co.uk I think...)

So we got them to send an invoice and put THAT through the bike to work...
    This meant she was paying half of €450 (roughly) for the bike instead of half of €1000... and for the SAME BIKE...

My point is.. do shop around.. don't just take what they shove at you in the shops...and get actual value for your money.. don't just say ohh I'll take the €1000 cos I'm only paying half.. Its still money coming out of your salary like...€225 is a lot less than €500 to be coming out...

But first, do ask whoever is running your employers scheme if they are open to the idea of buying from the uk...
    Some of them are not interested in hassle .. so... might not be a runner..

One other thing I discovered is that there are 'last years model' bikes.. same bike was available last year, its been slightly upgraded this year.. and the price on the older model can at times be appreciably less than the current model...
    Is there much difference in the bike ? Well, you decide... I see very little changed at times...

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Actually.. just on the 12k point...

Wow.. thats a fair ould spin... wouldn't like to be doin that of a wet evening...

Make sure you get mudguards anyway...heh...
    And plenty of hi-viz and lights...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi
    Have to agree with "Vidapura"
    Some shops up the price of the bike to match the grant (in other words - rip you off).

So do shop around.
    I found Cahill's in Naas to be excellent to deal with
    (basically I got 2 x good bikes from them for the same price of 1 x similar bike from another large dealer)

They also are "experts" in electric bikes. Got to try them out and a very interesting experience. But my journey is about 6km each way so not a considered option.

Advertisement