Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Heater - Please help !!!

Options
  • 09-07-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,
    Really hoping someone can help me please.

I have an Ariston water heater in the kitchen under the sink.
    Its about two years old.

Went into kitchen ten minutes ago and floor soaking wet water everywhere.
    The boiling water is coming out from a small hole about half a centimeter in size in the front of the water heater.

The hole is not made by accident as the hole is suppose to be there but can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to make it stop ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

Hi,
    Really hoping someone can help me please.

I have an Ariston water heater in the kitchen under the sink.
    Its about two years old.

Went into kitchen ten minutes ago and floor soaking wet water everywhere.
    The boiling water is coming out from a small hole about half a centimeter in size in the front of the water heater.

The hole is not made by accident as the hole is suppose to be there but can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to make it stop ?

Thanks in advance.

"why this is happening and how to make it stop" Turn off the mains supply and unplug the heater. It's possibly/probably the relief valve is lifting, some of these units are fitted with a combined PRV & expansion relief valve, the expansion relief valve should allow the expansion to return to the mains but if the mains pressure is > PRV setting then the PRV will lift and flood the place as its not piped anywhere. If the system was/is installed properly then it should have a expansion vessel and a PRV (piped to a tundish and drain) set at 6 bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Man with a plan

Many thanks John,

Im useless with DIY.I switched off the power for it on the fuseboard and also
    I switched off the power for it on the switch beside it that it plugs into (like an on/off switch).
    That didnt stop the leak as when it ran out of hot water it was leaking cold water so the only way I managed to stop it leaking was turn off the water completely as I found the twisty dial at the top to stop the water.

Its brand new 2 years ago,when I managed to stop the leak, I took off the front plastic panel by removing the two screws to try and see where its leaking from and I was shocked to see that where the water is coming from is surrounded by live wires. Surely this cant be designed like this ?

Plumber/Sparks is coming over later this evening to have a look at it but those live wires (brown) in with water seems madness.

Many thanks John,

Im useless with DIY.I switched off the power for it on the fuseboard and also
    I switched off the power for it on the switch beside it that it plugs into (like an on/off switch).
    That didnt stop the leak as when it ran out of hot water it was leaking cold water so the only way I managed to stop it leaking was turn off the water completely as I found the twisty dial at the top to stop the water.

Its brand new 2 years ago,when I managed to stop the leak, I took off the front plastic panel by removing the two screws to try and see where its leaking from and I was shocked to see that where the water is coming from is surrounded by live wires. Surely this cant be designed like this ?

Plumber/Sparks is coming over later this evening to have a look at it but those live wires (brown) in with water seems madness.

Without a picture it's hard to figure out what's happening but it's very important that these electric heaters are installed properly and I'm afraid that they rarely are.
    Here is a link to show Ariston's recommended methods.......
    http://www.ariston.com/uk/Electric_Water_Heaters/media/files/457_Water%20Heaters%20Brochure%2003-12.pdf

Fair play John and many many thanks for your help.

Its the Europrisma model in that PDF is the one that I have.Yea I'd say your right.Probably not installed properly but the guy that installed it knows his stuff in fairness to him. Hes a sparks for around 30 years but maybe not up on his plumbing skills :pac:

I will let you know what he says anyway when he hopefully sorts it later.

Many thanks again John.

Here is a picture of it.
    Water Heater.jpg

• Advertisement

Here is a picture of it.
    Water Heater.jpg

Ariston state that the EP10 & EP15 come equipped with a safety valve (the EP30 has a Temperature and Pressure (T&P) safety valve). I cant see from your picture where exactly the water was coming from, it's possible that the tank has simply corroded?.

He was just here and had a look at it and mentioned something about the thermostat and said its been overheating and is finished.

Probably true as it is in a cupboard under a sink and the wall beside it gets the sun all afternoon, and to be fair with the recent weather for the last month anytime Ive opened that cupboard to grab something the heat is just unreal.
    Hes going to replace it with a new one this week.
    I never turn it off either. He said I should turn them off every so often.
    Do you know if this is correct ? Should I be turning it off every so often to give it a break ?

Thanks for all your help John.

He was just here and had a look at it and mentioned something about the thermostat and said its been overheating and is finished.

Probably true as it is in a cupboard under a sink and the wall beside it gets the sun all afternoon, and to be fair with the recent weather for the last month anytime Ive opened that cupboard to grab something the heat is just unreal.
    Hes going to replace it with a new one this week.
    I never turn it off either. He said I should turn them off every so often.
    Do you know if this is correct ? Should I be turning it off every so often to give it a break ?

Thanks for all your help John.

If the thermostat had failed "on" then the over temperature stat should have operated as Ariston state that all their heaters are fitted with them in one form or other, either as a thermostat or a thermal fuse.

There is no reason IMO why the heater should be switched off except that it will save some energy that would be lost through radiation, I certainly know one neighbour who has one (Italian make) which has been on continuously for the past six or seven years.
    I have a 5 Litre Velo Doccia fitted in a attic bedroom conversion and its often left on for weeks on end as we forget to switch it off when our guest(s) have departed.

Yea I would have though something along those lines.
    It has a 3 year tank guarantee and 1 year electrics guarantee from what I read. I wouldn't even know where to look for the invoice/receipt so hes going
    to replace it this week with a different brand.

Seems not a fan of Ariston as he kind of hinted at this in not so many words, hes seen issues before with them but I wouldn't have a clue :pac:

He will put in a new one this week anyway so all is well.
    Thanks again for all your help and advice John, Cheers.

Advertisement