Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorbikes suggestions for lady learners

Options
  • 09-07-2018 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

As I am looking for new hobbies...

Looking for suggestions of what type of motorbikes would be suitable for beginner short ladies (bit over 5 feet), when mostly urban and occasional hop on the motorway are in scope. I'd expect it would take some time to build up a confidence level if I start fresh.
    So would appreciate if any info available here based on ppls experience

- Few things need to happen before, so this is to help with my research.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

A few points will help others and myself included, in helping you with your query.

Do you have a Licence for any kind of motorcycle currently?
    Kind of budget?
    Scotter or motorcycle?
    Seasonal riding or all year round?. Not really important but might be for some bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

neildyr wrote: »
    A few points will help others and myself included, in helping you with your query.

Do you have a Licence for any kind of motorcycle currently?
    Kind of budget?
    Scotter or motorcycle?
    Seasonal riding or all year round?. Not really important but might be for some bikes?

Cool, no worries.

No A license -> so I would expect I would use it while doing the IBT.
    Assumed budget for a starter bike (~5k).
    Motorcycle.
    Guess seasonal (as I am driving for my work commute).

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

I’ve been researching what bike to get as a lady who is 5’3”. I’m having some difficulty finding something I can put my feet down on. Depending on what learner permit you go for there are some choices out there. Cruisers are always lower so might be worth looking at if you like that style.
    I prefer a sportyish looking bike but also with an upright riding position as I’ll be using it for 40min commute everyday.
    I’m looking at an ER6f, have sat one one and can just get my toes down so also looking at getting it lowered and shaving the seat to gain a little over an inch. I’m booked in for IBT on Thursday, so not making any buying decisions until then as I will know how comfortable I’ll be on a 600cc + after that.
    Also have a look at the Daytona Ladystar boots, they have a hidden lift in the insole and give you 5/6 Cm extra in height. I got some second hand in great condition on eBay for a bargain as they’re way to pricey for me to afford new.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I started out on a CBR250, was perfect for my height (5'2") ... although that was many, many years ago. I now ride an SV650, which I've had lowered. I also wear New Rocks, so that I can reach the ground. I have a pair of the Daytona Ladystar boots, but the lift is only in the heel, so I was on my tippytoes whenever I put my foot down, I'd much prefer the New Rocks with the platform.

Go sit on lots of bikes, see what you feel comfortable on. Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I'd say start on a 125 or 250. They won't be great on the motorway but they are great confidence builders. Have a look at the gn 125 or the vanvan 200. I have never rode a vanvan but I love the look of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Have a look at http://cycle-ergo.com

Gives an idea at least of whether you'd be miles from putting your feet down

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Surely you only need to be able to put one foot down, since you can't fall over in two directions at once.

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    I started out on a CBR250, was perfect for my height (5'2")
    Go sit on lots of bikes, see what you feel comfortable on. Best of luck with it :)

eh - not sure about lots, but maybe would get to a few :).

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

I started out riding motorbikes this year and bought a Honda CG125 secondhand off a dealer. I am 5"5 in height and find it ok in that I can have both feet comfortably on the ground either side of it. Not fully flat but the front half of my feet are at least on the ground. Great little starter bike and I'm hoping to upgrade in the next few months once I have my full license. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

mvl wrote:
    Looking for suggestions of what type of motorbikes would be suitable for beginner short ladies (bit over 5 feet), when mostly urban and occasional hop on the motorway are in scope. I'd expect it would take some time to build up a confidence level if I start fresh. So would appreciate if any info available here based on ppls experience

Speaking from limited experience, buy something you can pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

A Suzuki VanVan is a good suggestion. Not many about though. (Is there a 250cc model too?)

I'll add Yamaha Serow XT225 and the later XT250 to the list. Not easy to find them either but you'll never have a problem selling-on a Serow.
    Just bring a mechanic with you to check whatever you find - esp if it's an older, well-used model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    I now ride an SV650, which I've had lowered.

You have to change your username now.

Remember, you don't need to flat foot both feet to ride. I'd say none of the men can flat foot both feet on this forum, if they can they probably feel like they want a taller bike. Best advise is don't buy anything and do the ibt, your instructor will be able to help you and you can try the school bikes, you'll have a much better understanding of what you need once you've done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

zubair wrote: »
    You have to change your username now.

Remember, you don't need to flat foot both feet to ride. I'd say none of the men can flat foot both feet on this forum, if they can they probably feel like they want a taller bike. Best advise is don't buy anything and do the ibt, your instructor will be able to help you and you can try the school bikes, you'll have a much better understanding of what you need once you've done it.

Two points I'd make along with the above:

1 - You shouldn't need to put both feet down, but many people feel happier when they can. To a great extent, and until you're experienced enough, it's a psychological thing: in reality, even if you can, and your bike starts to tip over, then unless it's a really small bike you're not going to save it anyway.....no point in slipping a disc to save it !!

And we all drop them. Oh yes we do - me, recently, taking it out of the garage.... :o455689.png

2 - A bike that is sometimes comfortably 'low' for my point above, can often be uncomfortable to ride, as the dimensions of handlebar-seat-footpeg can be too tight. It is better to do it the other way 'round, but it is - literally :rolleyes: - a balancing act. This is why you see many small riders able to cope with GS's. The on-bike ergos are good, and this is why they're easy to ride. Conversely, and I know one guy at 6'7" who has the opposite problem. The ride height isn't the issue, it's the on-bike dimensions that are important. The 'ergos' link above is good.

In general, cruisers are very 'friendly' to learn on, and inspire confidence, but my 5'3" SO rides an 800cc BMW F GS. Lowered bike, with lowered seat, means that it's nigh-on the size of a 250 heightwise now anyway !!
    Her last bike as an SV650, similarly lowered and it was no problem.
    She tells me it's not the height necessarily, but the width of the bike/seat that can be the issue. Cruisers are narrow, her GS is narrow, her SV was narrow, so she's got a point there.

Finally, some of the newer smaller bikes aren't actually that small at all- so don't by engine size. Go and sit & try as many as you can. Go to a shop, local bike meet, bike club - most people are happy to let you try them for size.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks guys, some good advice there. - the bike in that picture is lovely btw.
    But for now I have my heart set to ... reaching the stage I can own/ride a Triumph.
    - possibly few years of practice on something else may be needed before that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

My wife in same boat found the following bikes ok:
    Honda cb400 superfour old model but smooth reliable and low seat
    Suzuki gs500f perfect for learner will be selling soon!
    Ducati scrambler 800 stylish low expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Definitely do the IBT to get a feel for the weight of bikes and see if you enjoy the feeling of riding one.

My wife tried learning how to ride, She was doing figures of 8 and laps of a carpark on a 00 cbr 600f which she found it comfortable at about 5'3 / 5'4 .... But she then didn't take to it after day 2 of the IBT,

Personally i wouldn't spend much more than 1500 on my first bike.. (still haven't paid over 2500 for any bike iv'e owned after 8 years) your not going to be dropping it everyday, but if it happens something that doesn't hurt your pocket too much to set right.

When your stopped at lights the correct position is to have your right foot on the foot brake which makes it easier to have the left foot down... as a habit alot of people (me included) have right foot down and left foot ready to select a gear.. it's rare that you would ever have both feet down... unless your at very slow lights, or waiting for something on the side of the road or parked up.

300cc - 400cc might be a good start size and power wise.
    Cb400 Super four,
    Honda Bros.
    lots of other brands/models

Then just sell it and upgrade to a nicer 600/800 when you more confident.
    Also don't forget to budget for insurance.

Best of luck with it.

I definitely agree and always say myself, do the IBT first before buying. But I disagree on the sub 600 suggestions for beginners, your wife is another example that beginners can start on a 600 and a fairly fast one at that. There are plenty of sensible 600+ bikes for beginners out there so no need to @rse around when it comes to doing the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I learned on a 700 and never found the power a problem.

A forgiving throttle response is more important than outright grunt (or lack of).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd say none of the men can flat foot both feet on this forum, if they can they probably feel like they want a taller bike.t.

Listen shorty, you dont speak for everyone.

I can flat feet both feet no problems and im on a DL650 with OEM seat. I dont think it can be described as a small bike. Nor do i feel the need to get something taller... should that even exist!

listermint wrote: »
    Listen shorty, you dont speak for everyone.

I can flat feet both feet no problems and im on a DL650 with OEM seat. I dont think it can be described as a small bike. Nor do i feel the need to get something taller... should that even exist!

Check your tyre pressures ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Check your tyre pressures ffs!

cant account for short folks genes

Drink your milk people!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Remember, you don't need to flat foot both feet to ride. I'd say none of the men can flat foot both feet on this forum, if they can they probably feel like they want a taller bike.

?? I've been easily able to flat foot both sides at the same time on every bike I've owned, mostly sports bikes (No cruisers anyway!) and I'm 6'0" so plenty taller than me around.

Wouldn't like to have a tall bike like a GS or whatever, the Sprint ST is actually a bit too upright for my tastes tbh.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Jaysus, are all the lanky f'ers on here going to call me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Lanky or really heavy and they bottom out the suspension :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Once you cross 16 stone the bike sinks a fair bit. Well that's my excuse anyway.

Advertisement