Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon airport US pre clearance

Options
  • 09-07-2018 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

Hi

Flying from Shannon at 12:30pm with United airlines to Newark.

Do I need to be at the airport 3 hours beforehand to get through on time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Shannon is not busy and there is very little walking distance between areas so you can easily go through check-in/security and immigration in 30 minutes.

Unless you plan to relax at the restaurant/bar before the flight I think 2 hours is lots of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

In Shannon.. Nope. 2hrs max but someone more local can advise more exact. It's a small airport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

If it were me, yes....you have to allow time to check in, go through security & then pre-clearance but I do like to have the option of time for a possible bite to eat & drink & not be under any time pressure

I definitely wouldn't be arriving any later than 10am, boarding will probably be at 11.50 or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks for replies. So the less busy and less walking is a big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭finbarrk

2 hours beforehand is plenty time for that flight. Shannon is quick to get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi

Flying from Shannon at 12:30pm with United airlines to Newark.

Do I need to be at the airport 3 hours beforehand to get through on time?

A big FAT YES!!!!!

Flew to the U.S a few weeks ago midday flight....we arrived nice and early to avoid any hiccups, with the intention of relaxing and getting a bite to eat before our flight. We had a 4 year old in toe. We regularly travel through Shannon but usually off season.
    After checking in our luggage and heading up to go through security, my husband was taken aside and told he was one of several people to be chosen to go through a thorough security screening. Told it would take about 20 mins!
    I went through with little one and started to panic after I realized there was no sign of him after 30 mins. Had to go back to the security staff where I realized, I was one of several family members looking for information on what was going on. It was overcrowded and staff were making allowances for several irate Americans who were going through the screening. Hubby said they allowed 2 women to skip the queue. He was tested and screened for drugs/ explosives and quizzed upside down. The Airport police officer couldn’t have been more apologetic at the end but we had to run straight to pre clearance, without getting anything to eat or picking up some essentials for our flight like water as we literally had no time. We had about 10mins to spare when we go to the gate but we would like to have been more relaxed then we were.There is practically nothing to eat or drink after U.S pre-clearance. ( vending machine and a small shop)
    My advise is to give yourself the three hours, especially this time of the year when the airport is busier then normal!

Advertisement