Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ljubljana or Copenhagen

Options
  • 08-07-2018 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I'm going on holidays in September (travelling solo) but not sure where yet! I had been thinking of Slovenia but have recently learned that there are no direct flights from Dublin to Ljubljana so would have to go via London. I'd only be going for a few days so worried that the extra flights, connections, etc would cause stress and am thinking it might be better to visit Slovenia along with a couple of other nearby spots where I could fly directly to and from. Has anyone ever travelled to Slovenia from Dublin via London and was it do-able or would it be better to cover other spots along with Slovenia to avoid the hassle of connecting flights?

I'm also considering Denmark but am conscious of the Danish Krone. Has anyone ever visited Denmark and how much did you spend over there? I would probably be going there for 4 days if I decide to go there in September.

Also, any recommendations on where to go (and where to avoid!) for these places would be welcome! Lake Bled in Slovenia and the Tivoli Gardens in Denmark are already on my lists.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

You could fly to Pula and drive up to Bled. Spend the first night in Rovinj or somewhere like that near Pula, but on the coast. Have done that trip before and was really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 annier275

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    You could fly to Pula and drive up to Bled. Spend the first night in Rovinj or somewhere like that near Pula, but on the coast. Have done that trip before and was really enjoyable.

Cool, thanks for that - did you get a bus or drive from Pula/Rovinj to Bled? Do you know if there are any buses who would go that route? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

For Ljubljana you have two options, fly through one of the major airports and land in Ljubljana or you can fly to Venice and drive to Ljubljana. Another option is to book with Go Opti, they have minibus transfers from airports. Whatever you choose is going to take about 10-12 hours door to door. Pula is another option but you are travelling at the end of tourist season and you could end in permanent traffic jam. My favourite is finding cheap connected flight with Lufthansa or someone similar with a short stop in Munich or Paris. I wouldn't bother with travel if you have only four days.

Anyway there are two things every tourist is dragged to in Slovenia, Lake Bled and Postojna cave. Personally I find Bled a bit dull if you are on your own unless you want to stay somewhere around and do some hiking. Postojna is pretty impressive, Predjama Castle is also in the neighbourhood and visiting both would take the guts of a day. Ljubljana is small but lovely and there is quite a bit to see.

Copenhagen is lovely but last time I was there 20 years ago so I won't try with advice. I remember it being very expensive and Ljubljana would be probably a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

annier275 wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for that - did you get a bus or drive from Pula/Rovinj to Bled? Do you know if there are any buses who would go that route? Thank you.

There are organised tour buses from Pula to Bled . Ask at any tourist office . The Istrian peninsula is beautiful and worth staying for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Food and drink is about three to four times more expensive in Copenhagen than Istria if you are dining out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 annier275

OK thanks all, will have do some research based on those comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

annier275 wrote: »
    A2LUE42 wrote: »

Hired a car at the airport. Gave us the freedom to do trips from Bled whenever we wanted too.

Advertisement