Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names of roads in NI - were these changed?

Options
  • 08-07-2018 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all

apologies if this isn't in the right place.

I was reading a poem about the troubles in NI and some street names were mentioned. They are:

Odessa St
    Inkerman St
    Raglan Rd
    Balaklava Rd

With the exception of Odessa Street, I am unable to locate these roads on Google Maps.

From reading a wiki on Falls Road, I understand that these were all roads that bracnched off Falls Road and were named after various characters and events from the Crimean War.

But - where are these roads now? Were they renamed? Were these ever the real names of these streets or were they informal names given to them?

It says that the area was demolished in the 1960s and replaced with Divis Tower - so - did the streets themselves lose their names then?

Many thanks

Comments

Advertisement