Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abrasive wheels training

Options
  • 07-07-2018 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi im starting an plumbing apprenticeship soon and have to get abrasive wheel training i have been calling places up all week and have been having a hard time getting anything soon. I am just wondering are you supposed to have it before you start or does it matter my new boss moved my start day forward in order for me to get it but to be honest that doesn't make much of a difference as most of the places I have been calling have dates starting in a week or two and most places are closed over the weekend so i cant call them and i cant see myself getting something booked for Monday right now. The company im starting with seem to wont me to have it by the time i start which is Tuesday im stressing out here"!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

i/ve always got it at work. did the course <2 weeks ago (at work) with shorcontrol. http://www.safety.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jettamk6

i/ve always got it at work. did the course <2 weeks ago (at work) with shorcontrol. http://www.safety.ie/

thanks i thought this to but i was just let go before even starting an apprenticeship because i told my future employer I couldn't find a course before I start that cant be right can it?. Im rightly PO'ed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

jettamk6 wrote: »
    Hi im starting an plumbing apprenticeship soon and have to get abrasive wheel training i have been calling places up all week and have been having a hard time getting anything soon. I am just wondering are you supposed to have it before you start or does it matter my new boss moved my start day forward in order for me to get it but to be honest that doesn't make much of a difference as most of the places I have been calling have dates starting in a week or two and most places are closed over the weekend so i cant call them and i cant see myself getting something booked for Monday right now. The company im starting with seem to wont me to have it by the time i start which is Tuesday im stressing out here"!!!

Ring your new company and explain.

You are happy to do it and will book for a date that suits them.

If they're any use they may even offer to pay. You are going in as an apprentice. They see themselves having you for min 4 years. This is small fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

This is not right. Employers must provide training free of charge and pay the employee for the time spent training (unless voluntary 'extra' training undertaken at the employees initiative). In the case of a plumber, I would say that Abrasive Wheels Training is essential and as such, falls under the employers responsibility. With the company I work for, it is certainly the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    This is not right. Employers must provide training free of charge and pay the employee for the time spent training (unless voluntary 'extra' training undertaken at the employees initiative). In the case of a plumber, I would say that Abrasive Wheels Training is essential and as such, falls under the employers responsibility. With the company I work for, it is certainly the case.

Not if it was a condition of the job advertisment/ offer/ contract that he had it day 1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement