Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to teaching - couple of questions

Options
  • 06-07-2018 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

I am returning to teaching in September after a few years at home and have a couple of questions.

Unions - should I join one? Never joined before as I subbed and did maternity leaves and didn't want to align myself to one without a long term job.I realise things have very much changed since then though.

Am I an unattractive hire for schools as I qualified pre 2011 and will be on the old pay scale, does this make any difference?

Will there be jobs advertised later in the summer that I might have a better chance of getting? I have been looking on the educationposts website but figure August may be a better time as jobs come up last minute with teachers chopping and changing etc or timetables etc.

Interviews and preparation - where can I brush up on my interview skills and find out the type of questions I may be asked? Also schemes of work, does each teacher do a scheme or are these now done as a department for the new Junior Certificate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fogartypj

The scale your on has no bearing on whether you are a good fit.As for joining a union,both unions are aligned pretty much at the moment.But yes join a union as soon as you get a job.A lot of jobs will already be filled at this stage i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

fogartypj wrote: »
    The scale your on has no bearing on whether you are a good fit.As for joining a union,both unions are aligned pretty much at the moment.But yes join a union as soon as you get a job.A lot of jobs will already be filled at this stage i think.

Hi Fogartypj, thanks for your reply.

I understand the scale has no bearing on my fit as a teacher but that was not the question I was asking. What I was asking was if post 2011 qualified teachers are more attractive to schools than pre 2011 qualified teachers because they cost less to employ, cheaper. It's a very valid question I think.

The other points you are probably right about.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whodini

Blaizes wrote: »
    Hi Fogartypj, thanks for your reply.

I understand the scale has no bearing on my fit as a teacher but that was not the question I was asking. What I was asking was if post 2011 qualified teachers are more attractive to schools than pre 2011 qualified teachers because they cost less to employ, cheaper. It's a very valid question I think.

The other points you are probably right about.

I think the point the previous poster was making was that your pay scale makes no difference to the school as you would be paid by the department. I can't see how you being pre-2011 would influence an individual school's decision to hire you or not.
    Good luck with it all.

whodini wrote: »
    I think the point the previous poster was making was that your pay scale makes no difference to the school as you would be paid by the department. I can't see how you being pre-2011 would influence an individual school's decision to hire you or not.
    Good luck with it all.

I agree I could have phrased the question better but I still have concerns that I will be less attractive to schools as I cost more.I know I would be paid by the department or ETB but there is a two tier pay system in operation now.I am just concerned that it will put me at a disadvantage as the school will hire the cheaper teacher to save money or two teachers for the price of one type of thing!
    I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fogartypj

The school hires whoever they want and deem the best candidate.They then send contract to dept.If you pre 2011 it will only come into play when payroll sit down to sort out your salary.At that stage you are contracted.It makes no difference to a principal.

• Advertisement

I agree I could have phrased the question better but I still have concerns that I will be less attractive to schools as I cost more.I know I would be paid by the department or ETB but there is a two tier pay system in operation now.I am just concerned that it will put me at a disadvantage as the school will hire the cheaper teacher to save money or two teachers for the price of one type of thing!
    I hope I'm wrong.

This is a baffling question to come from a teacher. As other posters has said the department pays your wages the principal and interview board will not care at all about your salary. It will have zero relevance. The question does however show little knowledge of how a school functions so do your homework before interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

No principal cares how much you cost the DES as long as you do the job right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Posts have been deleted, put away the pitchforks and torches folks,
    Just stick to the OP's questions.

Consider the specific question about payscale costing the school money as answered.

Thanks

Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What I was asking was if post 2011 qualified teachers are more attractive to schools than pre 2011 qualified teachers because they cost less to employ, cheaper.

Did you work in England or other countries before? I think it makes a difference in other countries but in Ireland a school wouldn't give a second thought to how much you cost the government. It doesn't come from the school's funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

dory wrote: »
    Did you work in England or other countries before? I think it makes a difference in other countries but in Ireland a school wouldn't give a second thought to how much you cost the government. It doesn't come from the school's funding.

Was just thinking this too. Think in uk wages come from school funds but not here. Shouldn't make an ounce of difference

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies everyone, good to hear pay isn't a factor.Still looking around and will probably join a union. Don't know which way to go on this one at all but it would seem like I do need to join one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks for the replies everyone, good to hear pay isn't a factor.Still looking around and will probably join a union. Don't know which way to go on this one at all but it would seem like I do need to join one.

Yes joining a union is good - you can either wait and get a position and see what union is in the majority in the school or if you're subbing you can pay around €50 for a year's membership with ASTI anyway.

Advertisement