Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Taxes and Best Website for Gear

Options
  • 06-07-2018 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello,
    Im just looking to see what people think about buying gear from the states, I want to pick up a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 USM II. I planned to get it here but i cant frankly cant afford it (I'm only a student) I planned to get one second hand until i saw that you can get them for almost the same price online. but i worry about the various taxes and duties applied when things are imported as i got caught off guard for this in the past.
    B&H have the lens for $1599, Shipping is $30.66 and the Duties and taxes are $545.63 so all together $2175.29 (€1857.05)
    Adorama has the same lens for also $1599 and shipping for $63.25 so all together $1662.25 (€1415.07) but this all excludes the taxes and duties.
    I've also checked EGlobalCentral and its €1352.99 with €27.06 insured shipping so €1380.05 all together.
    First of all im not sure must one pay any taxes if its coming from EGlobal (I assume you do but i could be mistaken)
    I would like to go with B&H or Adorama because i would think theyre more reputable then EGlobal but i have no way to calculate the taxes etc i would have to pay if i purchased from Adorama.
    so TLDR is there a way to calculate what the insurance would cost me form Adorama and is there another way you would do this, ie is there another website that would be cheaper as I'm aware if you buy in the EU you dont have to pay as much Tax.
    Really hope someone could help me out.
    Thanks,
    Damian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Hello,
    Im just looking to see what people think about buying gear from the states, I want to pick up a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 USM II. I planned to get it here but i cant frankly cant afford it (I'm only a student) I planned to get one second hand until i saw that you can get them for almost the same price online. but i worry about the various taxes and duties applied when things are imported as i got caught off guard for this in the past.
    B&H have the lens for $1599, Shipping is $30.66 and the Duties and taxes are $545.63 so all together $2175.29 (€1857.05)
    Adorama has the same lens for also $1599 and shipping for $63.25 so all together $1662.25 (€1415.07) but this all excludes the taxes and duties.
    I've also checked EGlobalCentral and its €1352.99 with €27.06 insured shipping so €1380.05 all together.
    First of all im not sure must one pay any taxes if its coming from EGlobal (I assume you do but i could be mistaken)
    I would like to go with B&H or Adorama because i would think theyre more reputable then EGlobal but i have no way to calculate the taxes etc i would have to pay if i purchased from Adorama.
    so TLDR is there a way to calculate what the insurance would cost me form Adorama and is there another way you would do this, ie is there another website that would be cheaper as I'm aware if you buy in the EU you dont have to pay as much Tax.
    Thanks,
    Damian.

Taxes are pre paid by eglobal so the price you see is the price you pay

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Hello,
    Thanks,
    Damian.

Buy from link below....I've bought 2 lenses and a D500. Fast shipping and better than eglobal for communication. Also Cheaper!

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/1119/canon_ef_24-70mm_f/2.8l_ii_usm_standard_zoom_lens

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DamianColeman

dsaint1 wrote: »
    Buy from link below....I've bought 2 lenses and a D500. Fast shipping and better than eglobal for communication. Also Cheaper!

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/1119/canon_ef_24-70mm_f/2.8l_ii_usm_standard_zoom_lens

Thanks ill check them out!

Advertisement