Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tee advice

Options
  • 06-07-2018 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Long time follower of the topics but never posted before.

Joined a club last year and really enjoying it. One problem I always find is the first few holes on the course I tend to struggle on. I always seem to get very nervous and always end up way out of position on the first 3 holes and having to scramble very hard. Lot of the time then the score is very high after 3 holes and is hard to claw it back. Anyone ever have similar trouble or advice to overcome it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Are you getting time to get in any kind of a warm up before you step up on the first tee? If not, it'd be a definite benefit to you.

One option would be to sacrifice distance & go to a club that you're comfortable hitting so that you can be closer to making sure that you make a good swing & contact with your first strike.

Or if your just generally a bit tight, it can be as simple as a slow deep breath when you address the ball. You'll notice that, on the exhale, your shoulders will actually drop down into a more relaxed position & get rid of that tension. Might help, or it might not, but its worth a try.

Generally speaking though, anywhere on the course, a few deep breaths where you just focus on your breathing is a great way to clear your head & relax yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Suffer from exactly the same myself. I have triple bogeyed the first so many times as there is OOB on the right and had a vicious slice up until a few weeks ago. Ironically having that happen can calm me down though as there is no longer any pressure after a triple. I had a 7 last week to start out and finished with 40 points for a 3rd place finish.

I agree with spacecoyote about getting something reliable and low risk. 1st in my club is just over 310 yards which is two nice 7's for me. I will undoubtedly play a driver tomorrow in saying that. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stableford

Sounds like good advice space will give it a try over weekend. The first is not one of the most difficult holes on the course, is 340 yards and a wide fairway but as I said I think it is just in my head and maybe rushing a bit. This generally carries on for a couple of holes until I compose myself. I only like to arrive maybe 15 minutes before tee time so will try get there a bit earlier over weekend to loosen out before starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I find the exact same, it's actually like I forget how to hit the ball and it's only after a few holes I remember. Probably due to only playing once a week. I used to play twice a week and was much more comfortable at the start.

I do warm up, but I don't find it helps much, a few days when I'm rushing, Ill play pretty much the same with no real warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There's only one solution, literally. ;)

tenor.gif?itemid=5800768

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

stableford wrote: »
    Long time follower of the topics but never posted before.

Joined a club last year and really enjoying it. One problem I always find is the first few holes on the course I tend to struggle on. I always seem to get very nervous and always end up way out of position on the first 3 holes and having to scramble very hard. Lot of the time then the score is very high after 3 holes and is hard to claw it back. Anyone ever have similar trouble or advice to overcome it?

Thanks

I posted this in 2016.

Still the best advice I've been given about 1st tee nerves.

"I used to get nervous playing with strangers until an older gent joined me for a few casual holes one evening in Corballis. We got to talking and he was asking me about comp results from the previous few weeks. I told him I get very nervous playing with new people and I usually messed my round up before it had a chance to get going. He stopped me in the middle of the fairway and in all seriousness said "sure what is there to be nervous about? We're all sh1t. Handicaps are only there to show the varying degrees of sh1tness we play to. Even a lad off 3 will take a 10 in a medal at some stage".
    When I put that in my head I don't really get too nervous anymore."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Some playing partner can put you off on the first tee, especially when your new to comp golf. It's all a bit more serious than casual golf.

I still get this sometimes. Try playing the first few casual or on your own to get some memories of good shots. It's less about other people and more about belief that you can hit a good shot. Good memories will help until you get used to it. No one in your group will be thinking of your first three holes over dinner later or 20 seconds after you hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just pop a 5 wood or hybrid 160 - 180 yards down the first fairway to settle your nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just pop a 5 wood or hybrid 160 - 180 yards down the first fairway to settle your nerves.

Think it’s more the scenario than the club. Familiarity will help over time as you get to know more people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Maybe. But isn't it better to hit a club that puts you in position rather than hit a club that leaves ye scrambling?

Perhaps I'm a conservative player but there are plenty of times when sometimes I find hitting the 7 or 8 iron just down the middle is the best course of action.

If our OP has a habit now of continually scrambling and writing off the first three holes in his game maybe its time he changed his course management also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Maybe. But isn't it better to hit a club that puts you in position rather than hit a club that leaves ye scrambling?

Perhaps I'm a conservative player but there are plenty of times when sometimes I find hitting the 7 or 8 iron just down the middle is the best course of action

This is a local board for local people, go take your crazy ideas somewhere else you Looney!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Read the Tiger Woods book recently. His Dad Earl would shout abuse at him when he hit balls (physiological warfare training) it trained him to block out the noise and focus on the task.
    So turn your nerves into an advantage use them as a training opportunity. Picture yourself about to win a comp or a matchplay all you need is a par. The same nerves will be there except you'll be ready to handle them.
    Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Read the Tiger Woods book recently. His Dad Earl would shout abuse at him when he hit balls (physiological warfare training) it trained him to block out the noise and focus on the task.
    So turn your nerves into an advantage use them as a training opportunity. Picture yourself about to win a comp or a matchplay all you need is a par. The same nerves will be there except you'll be ready to handle them.
    Goodluck

Failing that, you could get a few friends to stand on the first tee shouting profanities at you.

(Might not go down too well with the Committee.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stableford

Went better over the weekend anyway. Played the usual club off the tee but just took my time for the first shot and a few deep breaths. Ended up having a very good round in the Captain's qualifier and now cannot play the final day next Sunday due to prior arrangement. To say I am raging would be an understatement but next Sunday's engagement has been in the diary since the start of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

Was the same a few years ago
    Now I arrive at the course at least an hour before my tee and hit 30 balls on the range to warm up
    It has worked for me, as my first drive is my 31st shot of the day and trust me you will play better when you are warmed up

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

stableford wrote: »
    Went better over the weekend anyway. Played the usual club off the tee but just took my time for the first shot and a few deep breaths. Ended up having a very good round in the Captain's qualifier and now cannot play the final day next Sunday due to prior arrangement. To say I am raging would be an understatement but next Sunday's engagement has been in the diary since the start of the year!

Can you ring in dead to your prior engagement :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

PARlance wrote: »
    Failing that, you could get a few friends to stand on the first tee shouting profanities at you.

(Might not go down too well with the Committee.)

Its just a bit of bullying to keep you focused :)

Advertisement