Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower Going Hot And Cold

Options
  • 06-07-2018 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭

I Am getting dozens of calls pew week at the moment about electric showers going hot & cold. Many people believe they need to replace the shower. I've taken a walk-through form my site & posted it here. Hope this helps a few people. :)

Electric shower going hot & cold
    An electric shower going hot & cold means there is a restriction of water going through the shower. This is much more noticeable or extreme in warmer weather. Usually there are three things the homeowner can check and possibly rectify themselves.

• Shower head
    This is the simplest thing to check. Unscrew the shower head and run the shower without the head. If you can regulate the temperature without the head attached then the issue is with the head itself. If you don’t have a genuine Triton / Mira shower head this could be the problem. If you do have a genuine Triton / Mira shower head then it most likely needs to be descaled. Leave it steeping in white vinegar overnight to descale it.

• Hose
    It’s possible that the rubber tubing inside the shower hose has collapsed. Unscrew the head from the hose and the hose from the shower. Usually you can see if the tubing has collapsed, if not I would run the shower without the hose or with a different hose to see if the problem has vanished. If it is the hose and it needs replacing I suggest genuine Triton or Mira hoses. These are designed for electric showers and will have the correct diameter hole. If the diameter is too small it will restrict the water again causing it to go hot and cold.

• Filter
    The last thing to try is the filter. Usually this is inside the shower. Don’t forget the golden rule of making sure that the power is off to the shower before ever removing the cover. Once you are certain the power is off remove the cover and find the filter. We have most installation manuals on the site
    dublinshowerrepair.com
    free to download if you can’t find your own copy. You might need to shut off the water supply to some showers. Remove the filter and clean if necessary. Put the filter back in. On some showers you may need to commission the pump. Again this is simple and is explained in the installation manual. Put the cover on, turn the water on & turn the power on. If you still have the same issue at this stage then most likely your shower is so clogged with limescale that the element or the shower needs replacing.

Most often it’s the shower head causing the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Change of life?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Change of life?

Should I change title to Hot Flushes?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Should I change title to Hot Flushes?? :)

In some cases it may be just a case of increasing the flow rate to compensate for the increased "cold" water feed in these very warm conditions?. Most electric showers when operating normally can give a flow rate of > 9 LPM when turned to the coldest setting. For example if one assumes that any 9KW shower running at a minimum output of 8.5KW flowing at 3.5 LPM will give a showering temperature of 43C from cold water at 8C but will give a temperature of 55C from cold water at 20C at the same flowrate of 3.5 LPM which in most cases (and certainly in a Mir Sport type) will cause the TCO to operate in a on/off manner. With cold water at 20c and a showering temperature of 43C a flowrate of 5.3 LPM is required but this should certainly be well within the shower(s) flowrate capability.
    I know its stating the obvious but I presume people are adjusting their flowrates to reflect the above?.

I am running my shower on "1/2" power for the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

John.G wrote:
    I am running my shower on "1/2" power for the past few weeks.

I'm doing the same thing John.

I have to hand it to you. I've read a lot of your posts & you can do maths, that makes my brain hurt, effortlessly. :)

Advertisement