Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This any good?

Options
  • 05-07-2018 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I imagine they are pretty good, it has Heston Blumenthal's approval anyway! AFAIK they have a water tank so no need for mains supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Patww79 wrote: »
    Been thinking about something like this for a while but know absolutely nothing about them. I've a €250 BT voucher so that's why I was looking there.

http://www.brownthomas.com/living/electrical/coffee-machines/barista-express-coffee-machine/98x5344xbes870uk.html?cgid=living-coffee-machines#start=1

Thanks. Also, does it need to be hooked to mains water? It's unclear.

I know you've a voucher but it's much cheaper on Amazon.
    Edit, was 480ish only 2 weeks ago, I was watching on camel camel camel. https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Sage-BES870UK-Barista-Express-Espresso/product/B00CI32S9I

After much research I've just bought the smaller Sage machine without the grinder and a separate Sage grinder, delivered last Wed. It works out cheaper than the one You've posted and gives me a better grinder with digital grind control. My thinking was that it allows me change or upgrade either later if needed. I'm over the moon with mine, it's an amazing setup and the one you posted would be pretty much the same. It has a removable water container, Google for some review vids on YouTube, I watched lots before I made my mind up
    Sage BES810BSS the Duo Temp Pro... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NPYDJ6U?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
    Sage BCG820BSSUK the Smart Grinder... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P81AQUU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Have you checked this thread, I think Argos stock it
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057173350/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yep, it has a reputation as a solid all-rounder in its category. I'd go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Hi All

I am looking to treat myself to something special in the coffee maker dept, but the fact i am even asking these questions has me wondering if i should spend this much money if i dont know.

The sage barista express is currently looking at about 580.. am i getting a good deal??

Can anyone vouch for theirs? I've watched reviews and obviously it looks great but looking for people using day to day..

whats the maintenance overhead? I wouldnt really get to use it everyday due to work, would be mainly a weekend thing.

How long could i expect it to live given low - medium level of strain? spending that much money, i'd want to have it a long time.

Also - in its simplest form, what do i get here over any of the good bean 2 coffee machines.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Hi All

I am looking to treat myself to something special in the coffee maker dept, but the fact i am even asking these questions has me wondering if i should spend this much money if i dont know.

The sage barista express is currently looking at about 580.. am i getting a good deal??

Can anyone vouch for theirs? I've watched reviews and obviously it looks great but looking for people using day to day..

whats the maintenance overhead? I wouldnt really get to use it everyday due to work, would be mainly a weekend thing.

How long could i expect it to live given low - medium level of strain? spending that much money, i'd want to have it a long time.

Also - in its simplest form, what do i get here over any of the good bean 2 coffee machines.

Thanks.

I have one now abiut 3 years, love it, highly recommend it.

Few ither posters here have them as well. Came recommended to me by a friend who is a coffee roaster, and reveiws put it above other machines costing twice the price.

I have one now abiut 3 years, love it, highly recommend it.

Few ither posters here have them as well. Came recommended to me by a friend who is a coffee roaster, and reveiws put it above other machines costing twice the price.

Thanks for your reply. Another one in the pro column.

What's the maintenance overhead or do you even consider it? Is it a hassle to maintain / clean?

Thanks for your reply. Another one in the pro column.

What's the maintenance overhead or do you even consider it? Is it a hassle to maintain / clean?

Maintenance overhead is negligeable, few filters and cleaning tablets is all mine has needed the last three years

I should have actually posted here after purchasing.

Overall very happy with the barista express. I work near quite a good coffee shop where I'm happy with the beans so once I had that dialled in I haven't really had to change settings.

Cleaning as mentioned above is negligible really and doesn't bother me at all

If I had one gripe it's that I find it very difficult to get an americano type coffee from it. I feel it isn't as good for some reason. However using the milk foamer etc is all good and it makes a good coffee, consistently, each time.

Would recommend.

• Advertisement

I just realised, we bought ours 5 years ago this month (so Google.tells us anyway)

Advertisement