Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you 'revive' grey-ed out wood, or do you just need to paint it?

Options
  • 05-07-2018 5:33pm

Howdy do folks.

Did a few searches for this and found a few threads but nothing concrete could I find.

I have a wooden shed (tongue and groove i believe, though could be wrong!) and I have a few big wooden flower planters.

The shed is 2 years old, and i was told it'd be fine for the first year, to give it some care on the second year. Unfortunately, by the time the first year ahad rolled around, my shed was already on the road to greying out.

got a few coats of a clear ronseal wood preserver on it, which has helped, but still hasn't gotten it's 'golden' glow back at all, unfortunately. :(

I'm wondering does anyone have any idea of a decent product that will assist with getting the wood back to it's 'as new' golden/brown kinda colour, or is that dream long dead and buried at this stage? Should I just start looking at garden paints instead?

Bonus question: if you've had 3 years out of your decking, never oiled, stained, treated etc. it (bar a pressure washing and scrubbing each year) and now it's drying out and cracking, is there any point in trying to give it some lovin', or am i best to resign myself to having to take it up and replace it with new deck boards?

Just not sure if there's any point rushing out and getting decking oil or not? Will it soak in after a load of coats and bring the deck back to life, or is the damage irreversible at this stage?

Cheers to anyone able to help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You wont be able to restore the natural colour.
    You can just stain it to your desired colour.

Same applies to the decking. Clean and stain it and if you are still not happy you can consider replacing it. Would be mad to go to the expense of replacing it without trying cheaper options first.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wood greys naturally, the deep brown colour is not natural.

Pressure treated timber doesn't require further treatment. The more you mess with it, the more work you're creating for yourself when that treatment ages.

That's just my opinion born of experience and laziness.

Howdy folks.

Mad thing is a neighbour whose garden I can see, but whom I don't know too well enough to ask, has a massive log style house extension to the rear and it's there about 10 years and is still golden.

I really must build up the courage to knock in to him to ask what he's doing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HoboJoe

Yup, go with stain, unless you want to sand/plane back a centimeter or a few. Painting is usually intended to 'flatten' the grain and of the wood and look smoothing upon completion. This requires priming and sanding (possibly repeat this step), undercoat, paint. Staining just changes the colour of the wood and some products offer protection form mould and further discolouration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

This is the stuff you should have used Net-Trol to restore the colour and then I would have followed up with a coat of Textrol to protect it.

Not tried this Owatrol Compo-Clean but I think it does much the same the Net-Trol.

I don't work for them btw but have a large wood clad extension and found the Textrol one of the simplest finishes to use. The products are expensive but they save a load of time and energy so that sort of makes up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

my3cents wrote: »
    This is the stuff you should have used Net-Trol to restore the colour and then I would have followed up with a coat of Textrol to protect it.

Not tried this Owatrol Compo-Clean but I think it does much the same the Net-Trol.

I don't work for them btw but have a large wood clad extension and found the Textrol one of the simplest finishes to use. The products are expensive but they save a load of time and energy so that sort of makes up for it.

spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

You need a decent deck stain. It protects your deck from every outdoor element under the sun — including the sun itself. Being water-based, you can apply a new coat over top of previous oil-based stains that might still be on the deck, simplifying the process. I suggest to use DEFY Extreme, you can find a review here https://prizedreviews.com/best-deck-stain/ . This particular stain is clear, so it doesn't tint the wood at all. It allows the natural color to come through with a bit of sheen.

Advertisement