Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated house blinds....

Options
  • 05-07-2018 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Anyone done this or know of a system that can do it?

Would like to say to alexa to open or close the blinds in X room. I have roller blinds being installed and want to automate them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Was just looking at this yesterday. There are a few motors available, eg Amazon, which go into the roller tube. Some are mains, some rechargeable, others, eg qmotion use d-cells inside the tube.
    I've not picked anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

We got solar powered motors in ours. Means they can be opened/closed by a remote. Would love iot ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Triangle wrote: »
    We got solar powered motors in ours. Means they can be opened/closed by a remote. Would love iot ones...

Easily done. Which units are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I have RF controlled motorised blinds and a Broadlink RM pro which can learn the RF commands from the RF remote. I have some scenes then for various things - 'blinds up' + 'blinds down' etc.
    Via Google Home, you can then integrate the Broadlink and the scenes can be triggered by saying 'activate' + 'scene' i.e. activate blinds up.
    I've also set up a shortcut then as an alias to this... 'open the blinds' = triggers 'activate blinds up' and the same for close.
    Not sure about Alexa + Broadlink Im afraid, but I think it should work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

slayerking wrote: »
    I have RF controlled motorised blinds and a Broadlink RM pro which can learn the RF commands from the RF remote. I have some scenes then for various things - 'blinds up' + 'blinds down' etc.
    Via Google Home, you can then integrate the Broadlink and the scenes can be triggered by saying 'activate' + 'scene' i.e. activate blinds up.
    I've also set up a shortcut then as an alias to this... 'open the blinds' = triggers 'activate blinds up' and the same for close.
    Not sure about Alexa + Broadlink Im afraid, but I think it should work
    I plan to do something similar - only problem is how to power the motors. I'm not sure I want to run white trunking up to the top of the blind. Are the solar blinds any use in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I've been thinking about something similar for a while.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I plan to do something similar - only problem is how to power the motors. I'm not sure I want to run white trunking up to the top of the blind. Are the solar blinds any use in Ireland?

I was the same, defo didnt want to do that with ugly wires + trunking. The ones I have a battery powered - they have a small built in battery in the motor. You need to charge them every few months (about once every 4-5 months).
    I have them on very tall windows (over 8 foot tall) for the past 10 months, and I think I've charged them about 3 times - and they're operated daily, its a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I was the same, defo didnt want to do that with ugly wires + trunking. The ones I have a battery powered - they have a small built in battery in the motor. You need to charge them every few months (about once every 4-5 months).
    I have them on very tall windows (over 8 foot tall) for the past 10 months, and I think I've charged them about 3 times - and they're operated daily, its a bedroom.
    Nice one, would you have a link to them?

Nice one, would you have a link to them?

They were supplied and installed by a third party so I dont have any links unfortunately. Pm'ing you the details of the installer (not sure if Im supposed to post links to blinds suppliers here).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They were supplied and installed by a third party so I dont have any links unfortunately. Pm'ing you the details of the installer (not sure if Im supposed to post links to blinds suppliers here).

You can once not your own business and nothing wrong with giving a good review if you got what you wanted and are happy.

• Advertisement

You can once not your own business and nothing wrong with giving a good review if you got what you wanted and are happy.

Cool, some other forums snip out references so wasn't sure. The guys that installed electric roller blinds for me are blinds2u. They're battery powered RF based ones, but not smart.
    Required a broadlink RM pro to make them smart (which I bought separately myself). They might stock other smart ones however.

Advertisement