Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy gear in Ireland?

Options
  • 05-07-2018 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Canon 24-70 2.8 II USM either new or second hand, has anybody recommendations of wheres best priced both online and actual stores? Ive looked around online and the cheapest im seeing is on Eglobal central but i worry that buying it grey market would be an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Homer

Whats your concern about grey market? I could understand with a camera body but lenses generally are fairly bulletproof. Ive never had an issue with a lens but have had a few with bodies. I would go for the cheapest place you can find it which as you mentioned is probably e global..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DamianColeman

Oh! I always just hear that you wouldn't ever want to buy something grey market but you do have a point, thank you! any advice on if you'd recommend going for new or second hand lens. obviously new is usually considerably more and well new but with second hand its considerably cheaper in most cases but you're taking a degree of a gamble with the condition its in.

What lens is it your looking for? Is it just a hobby? I’d save the money and buy second hand till you find exactly what types of photography you want to pursue and then look at lenses suited to that. If looking at adverts then look for somebody with good feedback and you won’t go too far wrong. Meet up and inspect the lens and make sure there’s no fungus or dust spots etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

every time i see this thread title, i just imagine people clicking into it from the main boards front page who haven't read what forum it's posted to.

Homer wrote: »
    What lens is it your looking for? Is it just a hobby? I’d save the money and buy second hand till you find exactly what types of photography you want to pursue and then look at lenses suited to that. If looking at adverts then look for somebody with good feedback and you won’t go too far wrong. Meet up and inspect the lens and make sure there’s no fungus or dust spots etc

Its a canon 24-70 f/2.8L USM II I do mostly events and press work so it would be that and a 70-300 2.8 Id be picking up.

• Advertisement

every time i see this thread title, i just imagine people clicking into it from the main boards front page who haven't read what forum it's posted to.

Hahah!

The mkii is an incredible all round lens for what you want it for. Paired with the 70-200 it covers pretty much everything. New prices in this country are crazy! Should be able to pick one up in excellent condition pre owned for approx €1300 on the likes of adverts

The mkii is an incredible all round lens for what you want it for. Paired with the 70-200 it covers pretty much everything. New prices in this country are crazy! Should be able to pick one up in excellent condition pre owned for approx €1300 on the likes of adverts

That was my original intent until i started seeing it online for around €1500 id be nearly willing to pay the extra for the piece of mind of new glass but I wouldn't be so sure where to go online, there's as i previously mentioned EGlobalCentral but then there's the likes of Adorama and B&H. I checked both of those, B&H turns out to be around €1800 with shipping and taxes etc which is just out of my price range and Adorama comes to €1400 without the taxes and duties which for the life of me i cant figure out.
    Im just worried about buying of a website like EGlobal but its more than likely very irrational as the days of the ordering something from China and hoping it comes in 6 months i think have passed.

Adorama and B&H are US based so you will nearly definitely get hit with vat and duty charges. EGlobal is a gamble but from reading here it seems very few are getting caught for any import duties. Are you not eligible to claim the vat back?

Adorama and B&H are US based so you will nearly definitely get hit with vat and duty charges. EGlobal is a gamble but from reading here it seems very few are getting caught for any import duties. Are you not eligible to claim the vat back?

No sadly not, I'm only a student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

You could try https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/ for reliable secondhand gear - comes with 6-month warranty.

Stock comes and goes pretty fast, so you might need to check it a few times to get the right price and "condition rating" you want.

Bermingham and Conns in Dublin also sell secondhand gear.

Cameraman wrote: »
    You could try https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/ for reliable secondhand gear - comes with 6-month warranty.

Stock comes and goes pretty fast, so you might need to check it a few times to get the right price and "condition rating" you want.

Bermingham and Conns in Dublin also sell secondhand gear.

Thanks ill make sure to check them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Should be able to pick one up in excellent condition pre owned for approx €1300 on the likes of adverts

He can't claim it as a tax write off in that case.
    No sadly not, I'm only a student.

You can still register for vat.

Effects wrote: »
    He can't claim it as a tax write off in that case.

You can still register for vat.

Sorry this is one thing i largely don't understand, I assume by the tax write off you mean the getting the vat back if its for your business but what do you mean by registering for VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Sorry this is one thing i largely don't understand, I assume by the tax write off you mean the getting the vat back if its for your business but what do you mean by registering for VAT?

In order to claim VAT back on your business purchases, you will need to be registered for VAT. This means you have to charge VAT to your customers, keep records of same and remit the VAT collected to the revenue.

Not worth it, unless you have a reasonable amount of business income (but compulsory to register if you exceed the business turnover limits).

Cameraman wrote: »
    In order to claim VAT back on your business purchases, you will need to be registered for VAT. This means you have to charge VAT to your customers, keep records of same and remit the VAT collected to the revenue.

Not worth it, unless you have a reasonable amount of business income (but compulsory to register if you exceed the business turnover limits).

Ohh right yeah i know of that i just didn't know what it was called oops, yeah i'm making very little income from photography at the moment so that's still a bit away yet!

Advertisement