Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS Package Delivery to Dublin from UK

Options
  • 05-07-2018 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a package thats from UK
    Its went from Tamsworth to Castle donnington Gb now its going to Koeln DE germany I cannot find the logic in this. I wonder where it's going to go next until it come Dublin. Probably Spain hahaha. Can someone tell why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Central hubs. It's like having to fly to frankfurt/Paris/Heathrow to get a flight to the states, or Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

dmon123 wrote: »
    I have a package thats from UK
    Its went from Tamsworth to Castle donnington Gb now its going to Koeln DE germany I cannot find the logic in this. I wonder where it's going to go next until it come Dublin. Probably Spain hahaha. Can someone tell why?

Fedex and UPS have distribution hubs at Koln Bonn Airport, will go from there to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

simple logistics automation and very sensible.

I'm in Newbridge - if I send a letter to the house next door via an post it will travel from Newbridge delivery office to portlaoise and then back to newbridge delivery office.

The cost in terms of time of separating items in a local depot first would mean substantial additional costs to the sender.

Courier companies use the same process but a bigger scale - all express items for other european countries will go to main hub in Germany and then all items from all european countries for Ireland are bundled together and sent in one shipment to the Dublin sorting facility.

All done overnight and in many cases out on the delivery van by 8am

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That’s a strange one, because UPS normally come so into Dublin directly from East Midlands. From Europe they would normally go via Koln to East Midlands and in to Dublin. It doesnt make sense in your case for it to go back to Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

whiterebel wrote: »
    That’s a strange one, because UPS normally come so into Dublin directly from East Midlands. From Europe they would normally go via Koln to East Midlands and in to Dublin. It doesnt make sense in your case for it to go back to Germany

if it is on a 2 day delivery it will go to germany .. if on 24 hour it will go to the east midlands and then Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

whippet wrote: »
    if it is on a 2 day delivery it will go to germany .. if on 24 hour it will go to the east midlands and then Ireland

I've never seen one going from Uk to Germany and back to Ireland. Their service goes from Koln to East Midlands anyway, so I can't see why they would send it to the Uk just to send it back via the UK again. The Express from Koln goes via EMA, and their trucking service leaves from Tamworth. AFAIK, the truck service is nightly from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I have had stuff go from EMA to Koln and then to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

whiterebel wrote: »
    I've never seen one going from Uk to Germany and back to Ireland. Their service goes from Koln to East Midlands anyway, so I can't see why they would send it to the Uk just to send it back via the UK again. The Express from Koln goes via EMA, and their tracking service leaves from Tamworth. AFAIK, the truck service is nightly from the UK.
    I have had stuff go from EMA to Koln and then to Dublin.

It may be volume dependent, automated routing based on route load.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Couriers forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I've had one delayed due to 'severe weather' coming from Tamworth to Dublin. Seeing as they're isn't any, had anyone come across this before and what's the real reason? Have they lost it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Just the Christmas rush. Give it a day or two extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Patww79 wrote: »
    I've had one delayed due to 'severe weather' coming from Tamworth to Dublin. Seeing as they're isn't any, had anyone come across this before and what's the real reason? Have they lost it?

There was severe weather last week that caused huge logistics issues as ships were full to capacity and whilst only half a dozen sailings were canceled, the knock-on effects lasted all weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There was severe weather last week that caused huge logistics issues as ships were full to capacity and whilst only half a dozen sailings were canceled, the knock-on effects lasted all weekend

They had this one (it was shipped Tuesday) all on schedule right up until it was to be delivered yesterday.

Advertisement