Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pre-pay sim for data in Europe?

Options
  • 05-07-2018 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Anybody any suggestions on the best pre-pay sim for use in Europe?

Currently with TescoMobile sim-only prepay which will give an allowance of 4.07 gb. I might not go over this but was considering using the 2nd sim slot of my phone for a data sim rather than tesco mobile data add-ons which are'nt great value about €10 for about 2gb.

Would prefer to have the peace of mind of no loss of service back paying for another provider. Three would give 6gb for €20. Any others?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

JustMac wrote: »
    Anybody any suggestions on the best pre-pay sim for use in Europe?

Currently with TescoMobile sim-only prepay which will give an allowance of 4.07 gb. I might not go over this but was considering using the 2nd sim slot of my phone for a data sim rather than tesco mobile data add-ons which are'nt great value about €10 for about 2gb.

Would prefer to have the peace of mind of no loss of service back paying for another provider. Three would give 6gb for €20. Any others?

Thanks

As a Vodafone mobile customer you will be able to use your home allowance of data, calls and text at no extra cost. It's also free to receive calls and texts from home when you are travelling in Europe, helping you stay connected with friends and family.

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/mobile/travelling-abroad.html#eu-roaming.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Genghis

+1 for Vodafone. Just back from hols in 3 countries and enjoyed full allowance and didn't experience any lower quality of service or signal. Great to not have to think about limits of cost.

Another small point, Vodafone include Switzerland for Roam like Home, all other networks afaik don't and are extortionate.

Giving them credit, Vodafone have made roaming identical at home and what consumers want, other networks put all their effort into complicated schemes that meets minimum compliance with EU rules but are not exactly Roam like Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Three, Tesco and Eir are breaking EU law on roaming when it comes to out of bundle charges.

21. If I do exceed the limits of roam like at home, what are the extra costs my operator can charge me with?
    Beyond roam like at home fair use policy, your operator may apply a small charge on roaming consumption:

3.2 cents per minute of voice call made (+VAT)
    1 cent per SMS (+VAT)
    €7.7 per GB of data (+VAT) (less than 1 cent per MB)
    For data, this is 6.5 times less than today’s roaming charge and 26 times less than the charge billed in 2015. For calls made, this is 36% less than today’s charge and six times less than the charge in 2015. For SMS, this is 50% less than today’s charge and six times less than the charge in 2015.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/faq/question-and-answers-roaming

Advertisement