Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised Patio

Options
  • 04-07-2018 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My garden level is roughly a foot and a half lower than the back door to the house. At the moment we walk out on to timber decking and then down steps to the grassy part.

What id like to do is replace the deck with a stone patio area. My thinking is to build a retaining wall roughly 3ft then fill the area with roughly foot and a half of hardcore to bring up to patio door level, then whack down and lay paver slabs.

Is this the right way to go about it?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HoboJoe

That may be a lot more hardcore than you think (think in terms of tons). Paving slabs should be laid on a bed of mortar also (sand and cement). If you go ahead I would make sure that you don't have any old clay pipework underneath than may come loose at the joints under the weight if it wasn't origially bedded properly. It's also worth installing a drain channel while you are at it.
    I'm certainly no expert but I hired guys to build me a raised patio last week and the mistakes that they made are evident to anyone in hindsight.

Advertisement