Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing off on students work when theu don't do in class

Options
  • 04-07-2018 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Reading the junior cycle thread there and talk of CBA's leadcme to thinking of what will we do when kids aren't in consistently enough to move forward ....anyway ...
    That got me to thinking of a potential problem next year where I will have to sign off on students' coursework and I possibly will have someone produce the goods without doing the work under my supervision- e.g geography field trip but not going o it; home ec journal but didn't cook kind of context

What are people's experience of refusing to sign off on the work?
    Were you supported by management?
    Did you sign the form and put a note or not sign and put a note?
    Were there any sanctions imposed ultimately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Reading the junior cycle thread there and talk of CBA's leadcme to thinking of what will we do when kids aren't in consistently enough to move forward ....anyway ...
    That got me to thinking of a potential problem next year where I will have to sign off on students' coursework and I possibly will have someone produce the goods without doing the work under my supervision- e.g geography field trip but not going o it; home ec journal but didn't cook kind of context

What are people's experience of refusing to sign off on the work?
    Were you supported by management?
    Did you sign the form and put a note or not sign and put a note?
    Were there any sanctions imposed ultimately?

JCT trainer said if a student doesn't submit work - it's their responsibility and you shouldn't be chasing it .... that probably won't happen in the real world as you will want all your students to succeed but if a student is consistently absent or doesn't do any work and you have tried all you can i.e. contacting parents to inform of the consequences of not submitting work - you have tried so I have no problem writing 'Did not achieve' or whatever a 'fail' is. Keep records of communications also meetings with year heads and principal outlining your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

The department issued P20 forms in triplicate this year for this occurance as well as S68/08 circular

see except

2. Role of school authorities and teachers
    The management of Practical Coursework by the class teacher to safeguard inter-candidate equity is of great importance. This management involves intervention by the teacher, as appropriate, to ensure that each candidate is responsible for his/her own individual work. The class teacher should monitor the progress of all aspects of Practical Coursework on a regular basis. The work of each candidate should be completed under the required conditions, as set out for individual subjects.
    Schools should bring to the Commission’s attention, at the earliest possible date, any Practical Coursework that a teacher cannot authenticate as being the candidate’s own individual work (see Section 3 below regarding Form P20).

Form P.20
    Form P20 assists in reporting cases where the class teacher and the school principal/ manager cannot verify the authenticity of a candidate’s work. It will be issued to schools prior to the Practical Coursework completion dates and should be returned, duly completed by the class teacher and school principal/ manager, no later than one week after the completion dates.
    In subjects where the teacher marks the candidates Practical Coursework, form P20 should be completed as appropriate and returned to the State Examinations Commission in advance of the commencement of monitoring. The teacher should not award marks for candidates listed on form P20.

Advertisement