Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband and Parental Control

Options
  • 03-07-2018 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi everyone

Can anyone help me with setting up Parental Controls on Sky Broadband. I've had a look around online and need some guidance please.

So far, I've found:

Sky Broadband customers in Ireland don't seem to be able to use the Sky Family Shield System.

Sky routers do not allow you to change their settings, called DNS, to enable a parental control system like OpenDNS.

I was thinking of buying a router in Argos and trying to use it instead of the Sky router, but would to hear from anyone who has done this themselves.

Any advice on keeping little ones safe online would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Sham40

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need third party equipment
    Sky make it very difficult to do

Easier to change provider if you're not particularly nerdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iirishsham40

ED E wrote: »
    You need third party equipment
    Sky make it very difficult to do

Easier to change provider if you're not particularly nerdy.

Thanks for the reply.

I'd rather not change provider, to be honest. I'm happy with the TV, landline and broadband
    deal that Sky provide, it's just this one thing that I'd like to change.

I am a bit of a computer nerd, I'd like to try, what kind of equipment do you mean?

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router-passwords/51163-how-get-username-password-sky-hub-sr101.html

Then visit the VDSL Compatible Modems thread on here for info as what to buy.

Then visit the VDSL Compatible Modems thread on here for info as what to buy.

Thanks for that. I have a SR102 model moden, but looked around on that forum and found an exe tool that seems to have worked.

I downloaded, installed and ran it and restarted my modem while it was running and it gave this report,
    I have substituted the actual values with [LOTS OF CHARACTERS] for my privacy:

Password = [8 CHARATERS]
    Username =[LOTS OF CHARACTERS]@skydsl
    Option 61 string = [LOTS OF CHARACTERS]
    Option 60 = [LOTS OF CHARACTERS]
    MAC Address = [LOTS OF CHARACTERS]

Is this what I need?

I've found a VDSL modem discussion on this forum, but am not sure if I have the right one.

I'd post up a link but I'm a new user, and can't post up links. Could you post up a link please?

They really don't want you to change your DNS settings!

Many Thanks

I've not done it but sounds like you have the correct data.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057632871

• Advertisement

I've not done it but sounds like you have the correct data.

Thanks for that, to be honest, the more I read about this, the less likely it is to work. There are a ton of settings involved and Sky could change any of them and my broadband would stop working.

I think maybe I'll bite the bullet and install something like McAfee or some "Cyber Shield" type paid software.

Thanks again for your kind suggestion.

Advertisement