Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Best To Attend Irish Open

Options
  • 02-07-2018 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

First time at a golf tournament and looking for tips on how to get the most out of the day. Going on the Friday. Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

NFH wrote: »
    First time at a golf tournament and looking for tips on how to get the most out of the day. Going on the Friday. Any tips?

Bring a folding step they are very handy. You can sit on it to eat a sandwich or stand on it to see over tall people that are hogging the ropes.

If your following a group youll be on the go for the day bring lots of water. Or plonk yourself on a nice par 3 with a backstop behind the pin and watch each group pass with a prime view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Shout 'MASHED POTATOES' when anybody hits a drive of any significance

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Never been to one myself, but looking forward to getting to it probably on Thursday and maybe Sunday too. Got the 4-day pass.

Not sure what I'll do, sit in one spot or follow a group. Like the idea of one spot tbh.

You'll have a great time up here, great location for it and great course by all accounts. Where are you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭mada999

was in Ballyliffin over the weekend... quiet enough place... with the weather being so good go and hit the beach - five fingers strand is a must -about 7k away from Ballyliffin..

The famine village is cool too and there's lovely beaches there also...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yip, we are blessed with nice beaches up in Inishowen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

NIMAN wrote: »
    Never been to one myself, but looking forward to getting to it probably on Thursday and maybe Sunday too. Got the 4-day pass.

Not sure what I'll do, sit in one spot or follow a group. Like the idea of one spot tbh.

You'll have a great time up here, great location for it and great course by all accounts. Where are you coming from?

I'd recommend doing a bit of both, good to see a variety of shots when following a group for a few holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NFH

I heard its a good shout to spend sometime behind them on the practice area, get a great look at them hitting balls up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I'll be up there too on Friday. I've been to probably 10 tournaments so doing this a while!

1. Get organised early! If you just have one day and you are someone that wants to see loads, you need to get there earlier. Granted its Ballyliffin and cant imagine 25,000 people a day, but it will take you longer to get in and get on the course than you think.

2. Make sure you have a look at the tee times the night before. I generally pick a group that I will follow in the morning (never the marquee group - but thats just me). generally a group that is about 3-6 groups ahead of the marquee groups. So follow them for 5/6 holes until you get to a place you want to sit and watch the big groups come through. Between the 6th and 7th tee could be a great spot this week, see them hit the tee shots onto the par 3 and catch the drives from the 7th too. Chill out and have your spot for about an hour and watch the marquee groups come through. You'll be front and centre. I generally bring my young lad to the exit of the green and he always gets a high five or even the odd ball!

3. Early lunch! have your lunch early or late! Generally nobody around at those times watching golf as people are getting fed and the tented village is jammers too. Then they all head out for the marquee group in the afternoon!

I would say that it will be mega relaxed with the weather. I generally hit the course hard in the morning and then come 2pm or so just chill out for a few beers and watch some of the later stuff, maybe make your way towards the 17th and watch them all come through.

With the weather like it is, its going to be fantastic! See you up there!

I heard its a good shout to spend sometime behind them on the practice area, get a great look at them hitting balls up close.

I won a competition through Titleist for the 'Ultimate Fit' on Sunday. Basically get to hit balls on the range with the pros! FORE!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dg3YInnUEAACKCR.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

I won a competition through Titleist for the 'Ultimate Fit' on Sunday. Basically get to hit balls on the range with the pros! FORE!

I won a spot for that too, should be a bit of craic. Some serious slicing and hooking:D on the range!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Everyone will be saying who's that pro shanking and duffing away over there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Ye should post up the time you on so we can come down a support you !!!

Sunday at 9am - I'll be wearing my sunday red

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

What a great experience! best of luck with it. If I was going I would definitely go down and cheer you on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Good luck Johnny, I'm there at 8. Probably be ejected after 2 swings the way I'm hitting balls lately :)

Advertisement